Author Topic: Doing shush/pat ends up with pu/pd 1 that can't be right?!  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Suvito

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Doing shush/pat ends up with pu/pd 1 that can't be right?!
« on: November 18, 2017, 22:13:43 pm »
Hello everyone,
It's me again.
I'm writing you after a very long and intensive shush/pat action  :-X... I started after haven't tried it for a while and my 10 weeks old DD is used to fall asleep in my arms. It was intense 30 minutes (was that already too long?)and I actually put her down for 45 minutes. Then I tried again and after 50 minutes I gave up as she was going crazy.
I have the problem that I can't calm her down with shush/pat if gets upset in the crib. So in the end I have to pick her up a lot of times and it reminds me of pu/pd. What am I doing wrong?
Sorry after 50 minutes shushing my lungs out and patting her back I am exhausted as is she!
Help!
Thank you for any advice!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Doing shush/pat ends up with pu/pd 1 that can't be right?!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 19:44:49 pm »
The basic shush/pat method includes picking LO up and keeping in arms until they are totally calm, or drowsy or even asleep, so it could feel like PUPD but the difference is that you hole for much longer and there is no limited timed holds like there might be for an older baby.
Your LO at 10wks is likely really frustrated that you are making her sleep in the cot instead of in arms so it is likely to be tricky for a few days.  You can shush/pat in arms until asleep though then continue in the cot (another 20 min until deep sleep) which would be more gentle.

Offline Suvito

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 22:42:36 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply!
Today was also quite difficult.
So you think I can shush/pat her in my arms until she is asleep? Isn't this going to be a prop then?
It sounds very tempting so I will definitely try it as she is always desperate as soon as I put her down.
Thanks again!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 19:56:07 pm »
Maybe review your BW book if you have one or if not then have a read through some of the sleep FAQs on shush/pat, using shush/pat in arms is the first stage in gentle sleep training - then moving on to putting down when nodding eyes and not asleep, then puting down drowsy but before the nodding eyes.
It is not considered a prop when you keep moving forward in the training.