Author Topic: How to start shush pat?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Shac9

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 28, 2017, 17:57:26 pm »
Hi,
I'm new to the forum but have read the book and Tracy's interview multiple times. I have an 8-week old DD that I would like to have her sleep indecently. Currently she's either been rocked to sleep or nurse to sleep. I've tried shush pat on her when she's 5 week old and had a bit of success with the help of a paci. When she cried during the shush patting, I gave her the paci to suck till she spit out and fell asleep afterwards. Somehow as she's older now she refuses the paci and I haven't been able to use the shush pat to stop her from crying and I just gave up after a few minutes. So if anyone who's experienced can help out here

1. What to do if DD starts fussing / crying during sitting? Do I let her cry while staying still? Do I pat? Walk? If I just stay still. How long does it usually take for them to stop crying?

2. Just like above. Sometimes I get pass the sitting and put her down to start shush pat, she would start crying and I would pat harder and shush louder but doesn't seem to be able to calm her. Is that normal? If so how long should I be expected to shush pat with her crying before she eventually stops?
Honestly with me, once she cries for more than 5 minutfes I would stop and think it's not working... :/

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: How to start shush pat?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:49 am »
Hi, welcome to BW :)

First off, she's very young. She could be crying for a multitude of reasons - one of which may be that she just wants to go to sleep and will you please put her down or she may not be tired enough for a nap yet.

Can you post your EAS? That will help - if she's over or undertired, she may be unhappy about shush/pat and knowing she's going to bed and you want her to sleep.

1. What to do if DD starts fussing / crying during sitting? Do I let her cry while staying still? Do I pat? Walk? If I just stay still. How long does it usually take for them to stop crying?
I would probably be patting and shushing whilst sitting then continue that as you put her down into her bed so there's something bridging the transition but I wonder if maybe your wind down is too long or too early.

Usually you can tell if LO is going to settle or not - if you don't think she'll settle, I'd just find another way for her to sleep.