Author Topic: Switch to one MOTN feeding?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Paiger171

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 01, 2017, 17:19:03 pm »
When did your little ones go from two to one MOTN feedings?

My 9 week old (7 adjusted, but almost 11 lbs now— left the hospital at 5lb 14oz) has a schedule of 7, 10, 1, 4, (breastfed) and then we do 2-4 oz at 7, bath/wind down, and 2-3 more at 8 before bedtime. (The dreamfeed hasn't worked for us...and I like to go to bed at 9.)

She currently wakes up around 12:30 or 1, and then again around 4-5. However, last night when I went in when she woke up at one, I picked her up and she fell right back asleep in my arms immediately. It made me think that she really didn’t need more food.
Does it sound like I could push that first feeding up a couple hours and try to move to one/night?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Switch to one MOTN feeding?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 21:21:28 pm »
Hi, welcome to BW :)

As with many things to do with babies, there's a big variation. Its normal for a baby of 6 months to still have 1-2 NFs. You may well be in the lucky category of having a baby who will drop NFs early but things may well change should LO hit a growth spurt. I would advise against changing/scheduling night feeds. Sounds like LO is gaining well but if you've paediatrician/other doctor advice to feed more frequently, certainly continue with that. If you're just feeding when LO wakes at night, just keep doing that at this age. Feeding at night is something that stimulates your milk supply.

However, last night when I went in when she woke up at one, I picked her up and she fell right back asleep in my arms immediately. It made me think that she really didn’t need more food.
Before or after latching did she fall asleep?

Offline Paiger171

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 22:54:20 pm »
Thanks for the reply! She fell asleep before she latched. I got her on the pillow and she just passed out.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Switch to one MOTN feeding?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 05:20:22 am »
I'd probably have just put her back in bed and fed her when she woke again in that case.