Author Topic: Blocked duct?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Blocked duct?
« on: December 05, 2017, 16:58:27 pm »
Hey there!

I’m almost 5 months into bf DD2 and something odd is going on with my one breast. I’ve had blocked ducts before, like a hard lump that is a bit tender. I’ve always managed to deal with it by massage and expressing while pushing down on the area. This time it’s different.
Out of the blue the whole underside of my breast hurts when I press. I bf and it’s the same, usually when I bf it would get better . Tried massage but it feels the same as the other side side, I don’t feel the hard lump of the blockage. It’s a large area that hurts including part of the Areola.
What could this be and how do I fix it?
Dd has 2 days of iffy nursing. Then last night basically fed all night. Today bf has been normal.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Blocked duct?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 23:41:29 pm »
Is it red or hot at all? Wonder about mastitis?

Could be a blockage further down the duct around the nipple area... warm shower, massage that area and hand express concentrating on that part of the breast?

If you start feeling crook or having fevers, etc. best get yourself to a doctor. I'd be inclined to do that anyway if it continues to be sore like that.

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:29:24 am »
Not red or hot at all. During the night it felt a bit hardish but dd fed off it all night and it’s soft to the touch. I tried a bath and expressing under water, also spent an hour with a hot water bottle and alternating between hand expressing and pumping. There’s nothing to shift though, still feels soft just painful.
Will carry on trying today.

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:35 am »
Got a slightly elevated temperature 37.2 and a headache- but that could be due to lack of sleep.
Its a bit better though. Not as extremalnie painful to touch. Dufficult to judge progress when you don’t  feel a lump though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:40:10 am by eva026 »

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 22:03:51 pm »
Is it now tender to touch due to lots of expressing and squeezing to try and relieve the duct?

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 06:17:45 am »
Ha! Now that is the question. When I had a lump it’s was easier to tell because if the lump had gone but it still hurt it was probably just bruised and I knew to leave it and it would go away in a few days. Now I just don’t know. It’s definitely better. Dd doesn’t like this side during the day so I keep trying small feeds more often. At night it’s fine though. It’s still painful when I press there but only a small area. Not sure if I should keep massaging or leave it? Was thinking cabbage leaves maybe? Definitely has less milk there now. I got 100ml expressing on and off all day!

Offline mulvia

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 10:03:10 am »
Had a similar thing a few days back, only there was a harder bit, rather than a lump it felt like a...cord. Not sure how to better describe it.  ::) Anyway, I was going to suggest to try changing position and have your LO's feeding with her chin right where it's sore. I found this was the only thing that actually relieved it, so I put baby in the rugby position to feed a few times, and it's now gone. Hope it helps!

Offline eva026

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 10:43:34 am »
Thanks! Her chin was pretty much pointing there all the time because it was underneath. It finally passed after 4 days, was getting a bit worried!
She wouldn’t really feed on that side during the day but at night it was ok. Think things are back to normal now.