Author Topic: Weaning 6 Month old from Pacifier  (Read 1390 times)

Offline caitfeil

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Weaning 6 Month old from Pacifier
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:00 am »
Hello lovely Mamas,

My daughter is about to turn 6 Months old and I have come to realize that her sleep is being disrupted by the pacifier falling out, she actually takes it out herself and then by looking for it she either wakes up or just gets really upset or both haha :) So I am wondering what the best way is to wean her off of the paci..? Any mom got any ideas?

Also I am flying in 3 weeks 16 hours with her, alone.. and i am wondering if I should think about weaning her after that or just do it now? She has always been ok in the night when she didnt have the paci, but just recently it wakes her up and makes her mad if she doesnt have it..

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Weaning 6 Month old from Pacifier
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 23:25:05 pm »
Hi, welcome!

There are a few options here:
1. you can wean now and feed her on the plane for takeoff and landing. Its really just the swallowing that helps re-equilibrate the pressures inside and outside the ears; or
2. you can wean after the trip with PUPD or shush/pat; or
3. you can teach her to replug the dummy and it'll become a comfort item she can find and replug herself and you don't have to worry about it much. With this option, you can give her the dummy to play with in A time so she can learn to replug it. You can put half a dozen or so in her cot so she can find one more easily.

So.. weaning dummy. I'd suggest trying to settle her with shush/pat without the dummy. Give that a go for at least 2 weeks. If you're seeing no improvement (by that I mean, there's no reduction in time to fall asleep, still always waking at 45min), its worth trying PUPD. Here's some info on PUPD: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=275699.0

This is an age at which people often find their routine is not working any more and the disruption to sleep can happen regardless of dummy use or not. Do you mind posting her EAS so we can check its reasonable?