Author Topic: 6 week old taking short feeds at night  (Read 2104 times)

Offline cocosmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:04 am »
Hi, for a couple of weeks now my 6 week old baby girl has only been feeding for about ten minutes, sometimes less at night feeds.  She is on 3 hour easy and I dream feed at 11pm.  She then feeds at around 2am and 5am.  During the day she feeds for around 20 minutes.  She feeds at slightly different times so don't think it's habit although she has been very windy and i have thought that she has been waking more from wind than needing a feed.  I am also concerned that the short feeds will be making her wind worse as only getting hind milk.  I had been Cluster feeding too although the last few nights the 8pm feed has only been a few minutes too so last night I didn't offer it. 

Should I be trying ti drop one of these night feeds already?  I can't do anything to make her take more at her feeds.

Thanks.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 6 week old taking short feeds at night
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:42:24 am »
Hi, welcome :)

At 6 weeks, you should be feeding on demand to help establish supply. From experience, I know that waking with wind tends to be within 1-1.5hr of feed, not 3hr and its perfectly reasonable for her to be feeding 3hrly at night at 6 weeks.

Feeds being shorter at night can be due to your supply being higher because you're resting and LO being more relaxed so feeding more efficiently.
WRT your concern re: foremilk/hindmilk imbalance - you can help to increase the amount of fat in the early part of the feed by massaging the breast near the chest wall (away from the areola) to help free the fat from the walls of the milk ducts. You can also block feed but that's probably not the best idea at this age unless your supply is really excessive.

Here's some info that may help:
https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/foremilk-hindmilk/

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 21:58:17 pm »
As pp says no need to do anything about dropping feeds. Your baby is tiny and it sounds like you're both doing really well.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline cocosmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 09:25:16 am »
Thanks for the reassurance!