Author Topic: To DF or not with 6 week old  (Read 2028 times)

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
To DF or not with 6 week old
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:41:25 am »
Our third baby is exclusively formula fed and we are feeling a little at a loss.  He tends to need a top up feed at bed time, and if he's woken by his loud older brothers, this can be around 8pm.  When I go to DF him at 10:30pm, he usually only takes 30ml at best.  He does last until 2am before he needs to feed but wakes again around 5/6am for another feed.  Should I skip the DF in the hopes that he drinks a bigger bottle at 2am, or keep attempting the DF so that he stays asleep longer?
He is utterly unlike our two previous boys, so confusing!!

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: To DF or not with 6 week old
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 13:14:29 pm »
Have you tried skipping to see what happens?
DS1 for me was great with DF it pushed him to 5am but DS2 had DF and still woke at 2am x
Zoe

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 15:56:35 pm »
Whats your day routine like? My two didn't DF well so we didn't bother and just fed when they woke. How much is he taking at a feed now?

I would say though, at 6 weeks if he fed at 2am then a feed at 5/6 am is totally reasonable as it's 3 or 4 hours between feeds.

Laura

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 17:46:55 pm »
Last night his last feed was at 9pm, he was SO difficult to settle but then he slept until 3am. That's a solid 6 hours! I'm tempted to just drop it. Our two older boys were skinny little things but this boy is very robust. 11lbs at 6 weeks!!!!
His day time naps are generally, 3x 45mins and one long stretch from 1pm-3pm. So is the life of the third child. I wish I had more time to teach him better sleep habits.
I try to stretch his day time feeds to at least 2.5hrs but he often likes to feed within 20mins of being awake.