Author Topic: 8.5Mo old still waking constantly  (Read 1278 times)

Offline breanna220

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 03, 2018, 16:36:57 pm »
Hi mamas, I have officially tried it all.
I have adjusted naps, wake/sleep times, used gripe water, colic drops, adjusted food schedules, added solids, tried formula, do drowsy but awake (that is how she goes to bed each night), she has a lovey, she has a wearable blankie so she isn’t cold, white noise, routine, she has heavy duty overnight diapers, you name it! I’ve tried it. I will say she is constantly sick thanks to daycare so she often has a cold or something (at which point I elevate one side) and she has 6 teeth. She hit a recent milestone of crawling. But if it’s always an illness, tooth, growth spurt or milestone then we are literally never ever going to sleep and mama is going to get more sick and sleep deprived!

Not including her middle of the night nursing she gets too much of but shouldn’t, lol, she gets 20-25oz milk during the day and 9-12oz of solids not including snackies like cheerios. She usually gets 2.5-3.5 hours of naps in. She continues to grow and gain a ton of weight! Her chunky little legs barely fit in 12mo pants. At this point I almost feel like I need to rule out a medical issue like reflux or something?

Her wake up times are always a little different but I never get a long stretch. Sometimes she wakes up at 9 or 10, then 11 or 12, then 2, etc. it always varies. Every once in a miracle while, she will do 11 and like 4 but last night, I lost count. It started early at like 9:30. And yes, I give in and nurse her. I am too sick and sleep deprived to fight her at this point. Desperate!

One thing I did notice though is she cannot seem to stay awake very long on her final stretch before bedtime. Even if she woke up at say 5, she will start looking tired after not being awake very long.

Sample day: when she’s at daycare
AM
5am – nurse (sometimes it’s 6)
Wake: 6:45
Bottle 4-5oz at daycare (around 8:15)
Nap 8:30-9
Solids 9:30 2-3oz

Mid Day
Bottle 4-5oz 11:30
Nap 12-1
Solids early afternoon 2-3oz
Bottle 4-5oz  2:30
Nap 3-4:30

Evening
Dinner – Solids 5:30pm usually 3-5oz
Nursing top off 6:30pm and then get ready for bed
Bedtime – 6:50-7

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 8.5Mo old still waking constantly
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 19:09:07 pm »
Hi there, you mentioned reflux, does she have any symptoms like arching when feeding or seemingly uncomfortable when flat?

I think you need to work on pushing her awake time in the day on average at this age you’d be looking at least 3 hours A and working towards 2 linger naps.

It could all be routine related, she would prob benefit from a longer more restful nap twice a day instead of shorter ones!?

I’d be trying to get the day to look like this WU 6.45, nap 9.30/9.45 for 1.5 hours then nap around 2pm for 1.5/2 hours then BT 7/7.15pm.
x
Zoe

Offline breanna220

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 22:11:21 pm »
Thank you. I can't deny that 2 naps would be more ideal but she has never been a very long napper... Usually no more than an hour. Since that is the case, I usually have to throw a 3rd nap in because otherwise she won't make it to bedtime. :( Thoughts on that?
Regarding reflux... I took her to the Dr. yesterday and they wouldn't even remotely entertain the idea. She said that if she had that, "she would be uncomfortable other times of the day, not just when she sleeps." Not sure if I agree with that. IE. Ear infection. My kid is happy and fine during the day with an ear infection. But at night... it's AWFUL  I still have to wonder if it's about the fact that she is laying flat.
I think she does arch, she gets distracted while eating, periodically chokes, has had intense bouts of hiccups, etc. The only time in her short life that she was a decent sleeper was for like 2 months in the rock n play.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 8.5Mo old still waking constantly
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:51 am »
With reflux my 2nd was unhappy and in pain most of the time so if you feel you have some reflux issues you may have to keep going back to dr. By this age some not all are starting to grow out of it though.
The constant waking is mostly related to not being able to self settle, pain or rourinevissues so it can be a tricky one to work out.

The short naps are most likely due to not having enough awake time, your A times are fairly low so extending her A times might give you better naps, up until 6 months short naps are pretty normal but by now you should be able to get some longer ones. The first A I would definitely push to at least 9.30am maybe do it over a few days of 15 min pushes if she doesn’t handle awake time well, be ready at around the 30-40 min mark to nip in and put a hand on her or pat bum/leg gently if she stirs to see her through any jolts   Rather than the a third nap you could offer EBT if you get 2 longer naps.

Sleepy signs become unreliable too now so if she’s yawning or eye rubbing try offering a drink of water or changing activity as it can be boredom too x
Zoe