Author Topic: Bedtime and Wake-Up Time for Almost 12 Week Old  (Read 1352 times)

Offline mommytham

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Bedtime and Wake-Up Time for Almost 12 Week Old
« on: December 21, 2017, 19:01:10 pm »
Hello,  My son is almost 12 weeks old and I have a few questions about bedtime and wake-up time:

1) At 11 weeks old approaching 12 weeks, what is an appropriate bedtime?  I find that he is sleepy at 7 or 8, but then usually it is just a catnap that he takes at that time, but sometimes it is longer sleep until his next feed, so I am really not sure when his bedtime should be.  The past 2 nights, it seems like his bedtime is at 11pm and then he wakes up at 5:30am for a feed and then wakes up for the day at 9am which I think is pretty late.

2)  He tends to wake up from his deep sleep around 8 to 9ish am.  Today he woke up at 9:30am.  Does that affect bedtime?  Should I be waking him up early to start the day (e.g. at 7am)?  If so, how do I do that since he is still in deep sleep and he could have woken up at 5:30am for a night feed?

Thanks!
Elaine

Thanks!
Modify message

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Bedtime and Wake-Up Time for Almost 12 Week Old
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 20:50:48 pm »
Hi there, I'm sorry you've not had many replies over the busy festive period but hope you've had a lovely Christmas (if you celebrate). 

The EASY routine in common with many typical routines works on a 7-7 day, so bedtime around 7pm would be where we'd aim for - or 12h after WU.  If he's currently settling properly around 11pm why not try bringing that forward 10-15 mins every couple of days until it falls earlier on in the evening?  That should then partly solve your second question - as hopefully he will be more willing to wake for the day round about 7am.  Whether you wake him or not is up to you - some people do so nap timings are predictable but I've generally let mine wake when they were ready (within reason).  If you want some predictability once you have an earlier bedtime you could aim for 7am but start the day as early as 6.30am if he's awake, or let him sleep on until 7.30am before waking? 

Hope that's some help :)