Author Topic: Breastfeeding, weaning night feeds and NW  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Ilijansmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Breastfeeding, weaning night feeds and NW
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:19:25 am »
Hello! I'm wondering if we're on the right track to wean night feeds and would appreciate your advice!
My DS is 7.5 months and has been able to go through the night feeding only once since he was 3 months. We don't do DF and he usually wakes up anywhere between 2-4 times per night now. In the past 2 months there were nights when he would wake up every hour - I think it was due to his mental leap 6 and I was feeding twice because he was sleeping for 3-4 hours after each feed. Now we're back to one feed and do PU/PD for the other NW. I think I read in Tracy's book that if we wean night feeds it's more likely that he'll start to sttn. My question is should I try to feed him earlier in the night (10-11pm) and hope he will sttn or do PU/PD until somewhere 3-4 am when he's more likely to be really hungry? I need to mention that he goes to sleep on his own at bedtime and for naps, has 2 meals of solids during the day, BF 4 times a day and also has 5-6 ounces of formula before bed. Thank you!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Breastfeeding, weaning night feeds and NW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 23:52:58 pm »
Sorry for the delay.
I actually think he is too young to be actively weaning night feeds.
The current advice Is to feed on demand day and night as breastfeeding research has moved on significantly since the BW books were written.  We like to think Tracy would have updated the books to reflect this had she still been around.
I think your baby is likely waking so often due to hunger and you should feed whenever he shows hunger cues rather than going by the clock. 

Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011