Author Topic: How to deal with 5am NW  (Read 3998 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: How to deal with 5am NW
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:12 am »
Well, I think he may have been crying because he was UT. I think if you put him down at 1:40ish and shush/pat, he should be asleep pretty quickly. The idea of shush/pat is to help LO learn to fall asleep when they're tired - they don't really know what tired feels like so they need to learn that from you, yk?

Offline Mumofboys17

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:44 am »
Brilliant, thanks for all your advice. Going to work on it this week and see how it goes.

Offline becj86

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 11:09:55 am »
Keep us posted :)

Offline Mumofboys17

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 15:35:36 pm »
Hi, I'm back having tried numerous things, but it's all gone wrong again! DS is 17 months this week.

We have a few problems which I am sure are all related -

Return of the 45 minute nap - this seems to be happening every nap now which makes me think a push in A time is required again, he's currently doing 2hrs and another 5-10 mins crying (screaming) in his cot, so thinking of trying 2hr 15 and maybe pulling it back if overtired?

Sometimes at the 45 minute mark he cried out but seems to go back to sleep but then at the 1hr mark he cried out again and sometimes will cry and cry and other times will drift for 10 mins then cry again etc. Often we end up getting him up as he seems quite distressed but once he is downstairs he seems to be happy? I did once just sit on the room with him with my handle genetic on him, after 30 mins of crying out etc he fell asleep and was in such a deep sleep that when I woke him, he didn't want to wake up!

Early waking, we have lots of wake ups between 5am and 6am, he tends to want to go to bed at 6.30pm which is fine with me, so I don't mind a wake up post 6am, it's the 5-5.30am I'm not keen on. He has a dreamfeed at 10pm and for a few nights we have gone all the way to the 5-6am waking so, however I'm reluctant to take the dreamfeed away just yet as we did that a few weeks ago and it made things worse as he seemed to wake up more! So we put it back in. My first thought is that the increase in a time will see if it is linked to the early wake up, if not then we may have to drop the dreamfeed again. The issue is at the moment we are getting no consistency at night. Over the last 5 evenings we have had a few nights where he has gone through until at least 5, one night where he woke up at 3.30, another night at 2.30, and another night at 1.45, 4.15 and 5.45 ( he only took milk at one of these).

Not sure where we are going wrong but my gut says sorting the A time will help with the naps which will help with the nights?

Offline becj86

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 08:02:54 am »
17 months
17 weeks? 7 months?

If you're getting 45min naps and earlier morning WUs, yep - probably worth giving the A time a nudge and seeing what happens.

If 17 weeks, this is a usual time for a growth spurt and those come with extra night feeds - that's just life. Often sorting the day will help with the night though, so worth giving your increase A time plan a shot.