Author Topic: Dreaded Virus has ruined Sleep for my 11 MO and Me 😰 Please help  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Scarlett891

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
The dreaded cough and cold virus has hit my household and ruined sleep forreverrr!!!

My daughter  has turned into a demon! I have no routine and hardly and sleep. She has taken to only falling asleep for naps in the pram when walking and at night, only falling asleep on me watching tv in the playroom. When I take her into her room awake she screams. When I put her in the cot awake, she screams. After falling asleep on me, I transfer her to her cot, where she will stay for an hour or two, before she’s up and the only way of settling her is putting her in with us. I’ve tried pick up put down and she is sick!!

It’s s nightmare and I’m really beginning to struggle and feel down about it.

Are there any tips you can give me? How can I get into a routine? I’m due back at work in January and can’t see how that will be possible if this continues.

Velvet is 11 Months. She will be a year in January.

I’m literally at my wits end 😰 xxx

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Dreaded Virus has ruined Sleep for my 11 MO and Me 😰 Please help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 22:44:14 pm »
What's your routine at the moment/what was it before she got sick? Sounds like separation anxiety +/- routine not quite right. Has she ever been an independent sleeper?

If she's sick, its not the best time to be teaching her with PUPD. Now is the time to be doing what you have to do to get the sleep in so she can recover.

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:32:37 am »
Thank you for your reply.

She has never been that great a sleeper but I did get to a point where I managed to keep her in her cot by laying her back down or failing that, laying her on me in her chair and placing her back when asleep. So really, I’ve always assisted her.

She seems to be better other than a cough. Should I get that better and then start?

Routine wise, she naps after breakfast when I see tired signs. That could be any time and she only naps on a walk. I can’t get her down in her cot. Something I long for!!

This first nap is over an hour. Never really timed it.

Lunch is at 12 and again she naps in the afternoon, by pram. No specific time.

Dinner is at 5, followed by a bath and then bed time is again watching for signs.

Reading other posts I really think I need some structure to the day.

How long should she be napping for and how long should activity be?

I also need to get her to nap in her cot as most of my day is spent walking and I’m getting nothing done. I know Babies change your life but she is literally taking mine over!!

Help!!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:53:35 am »
Does she wake up at any particular time in the morning? Is there anything consistent about her day that we can hinge a routine off? Do you have an ideal time to start the day =/- ideal time for her to be asleep for the night?

At 11mo, awake times vary quite widely. I'd suggest starting with something rather generic and keeping that consistent for at least a week, then tweaking from there.

WU - 7, milk
8 - breakfast
10 - snack
11 - nap (let her sleep as long as she wants)
SHIFT THIS PART OF THE ROUTINE LATER IF SHE WAKES LATER
12:30 - lunch
2:30 - snack
4 - nap (wake her after 45min unles she wakes then anyway)
5 - dinner
7 - BT milk, etc.
7:30 - asleep in bed
This may still be a touch too much sleep for her but it might be ok and how she sleeps a week into this routine will give us an idea of where to shift from there.

If your days are drastically different from this at the moment, I'd still nap her in the pram, just to get her used to sleeping at those times and then work on the cot once we're a bit more sure of the routine being suitable - one reason PUPD is not going to work is if the routine is off and I think she's probably protesting because she's just not tired for those naps.

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 09:24:30 am »
HEr awake times vary but I guess that’s because she has no routine.

I will defiantly try this.

If she wakes earlier than 7, do I just shift it but keep the times inbeteeen the same?

So continue to let her nap in the pram?

How about night wakings and wanting to come in with me? Do I continue letting her until we have a routine set?

Xxx

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:26:32 am »
And I’d like her to be asleep by 7:30 so I at least get some sort of evening so this works.

If she wakes later from the 11am nap should I wake her earlier? If she naps longer won’t this push the bedtime later?

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:46:29 am »
If she wakes earlier than 7, do I just shift it but keep the times inbeteeen the same?
Yes, that's the idea. You can wake her at 7 to keep things reasonable and give yourself a chance at 7:30 BT.

So continue to let her nap in the pram?

How about night wakings and wanting to come in with me? Do I continue letting her until we have a routine set?
Yes, I think keep other things the same til you've got her routine a bit more stable.

If she wakes later from the 11am nap should I wake her earlier? If she naps longer won’t this push the bedtime later?
Yes, it can push BT later but you should let her sleep inless she's going over 2hr - then you cap the catnap shorter if necessary to keep BT reasonable, so if she slept til 1pm, you might then do the nap at 4:30 and make it only 30mins and still aim for her to be asleep at 7:30.

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 10:53:33 am »
So, she’s now started going to sleep at 9pm and waking at 9am. Obviously still waking in between. How do I move this earlier? The virus has gone now and she is back to her normal self so feel I can start to get some routine back. She woke at 8:40 this morning!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 22:19:48 pm »
Ok, so what's her EAS look like now? Include NWs, please - they can tell us valuable information.

You can either bite the bullet and do a one nap day and put her to bed early (7/7:30) and hope that shifts her day or you can bring it earlier by waking her 15min earlier every few days for a month to get WU from 9am to 7am.

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 22:38:28 pm »
I’ve moved to one nap in the morning which she takes about 11 and she’s asleep for 2 hours. She hasn’t been having one in the afternoon and has been going to sleep about 7 by falling asleep on me. Now I just need to crack the night wakings

The pupd just makes her sick though. Is there anything else I can try?

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 22:39:19 pm »
Last night she woke at 12:30 and I think 4am. She came in to me then and woke at 7.20

Offline becj86

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 08:41:45 am »
Woah! She almost certainly won't be ready to be on one nap all the time yet, that was a suggestion for one day only to bring the BT and therefore WU earlier. She could become quite OT if you keep on one nap for too long, so offering a catnap in the afternoon somewhere there is a good idea.

How is PUPD making her sick? Does she have reflux? Is she getting so upset she's vomiting? PUPD at this age is more just PD: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=275699.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=208990.0

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 12:56:03 pm »
Today, she woke at 7:40 and it’s now 1pm and she hasn’t napped. 😢 just fights it so I guess you are right in she’s now over tired.

I tried pd lastnight and she was sick. From distress. She ended up in with us from 12am as had to change her etc and it woke her up.

Maybe I need to walk her to nap at the times you suggested and set an alarm to wake her

Offline Scarlett891

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »
This has just turned ridiculous!! I have no routine and no structure! Whatever I try she resists. I’m lost as to what to do next. What am I doing so wrong? 😢😢😢