Author Topic: 9 month old... oh boy this little guy I tell yah!!  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
9 month old... oh boy this little guy I tell yah!!
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:19:32 am »
9 months old, thought I had him sorted but it’s appears not. Just looking for some guidance on activity times. Our schedule looks like this:
6:30am wu
Eat 7
Nap 10
Eat depending on when he wakes...
Next nap is usually about 3 hrs later and I only let him have a 45 min nap.
And then bed time is 3 - 3:30hrs after last naps
Bedtime is usually around 7/7:30.

The last few days ( it could be teething as I notice his 2 front teeth coming in) he has had a really good first nap, and he usually naps ffrom anywhere between 1:30/2hrs. And when I put him down he goes to bed easy and doesn’t fight it. For his second nap he is usually pretty good, some days take more coaxing only because I want his last nap to end no later then 4pm, so that he doesn’t have a late bedtime. Which in that instance would be 8pm ish. But the last few nights he has been terrible, I put his down he goes to bed easy, then 30/45 mins later he is awake and then it’s in and out of the room trying to sort him out by process of elimination ( hungry, pain etc) I pick him up calm him down and then try to put him down drowsy in the crib.  Still doing the dream feed, and was planning on weening him this week but with everything going on that is definitely not going to happen. It’s just keeps going until about 9/10pm some nights even later for he finally settles.

I guess what I am asking is should I increase his activity time? And if so by how much? As it stands right now he does 3:30hra between naps. And his last nap I only let him catnap for 45 mins so not to end to late in the day. With the evening wake ups any idea what this could be? Maybe just not tired enough?  Please help!!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 9 month old... oh boy this little guy I tell yah!!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 05:59:41 am »
For his second nap he is usually pretty good, some days take more coaxing only because I want his last nap to end no later then 4pm, so that he doesn’t have a late bedtime. Which in that instance would be 8pm ish.
Are you saying he's doing 4hr off a 45min CN that you're waking him from? That sort of waking frequently through the first few hours after BT is usually OT and I reckon if you reduce that last A time, you'd have more luck. Try more like 3hr but you could do 3.5hr for the middle A if that makes the nap easier.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
Yes! Lol that is exactly what I am saying  :) okay so maybe try and leave him for his nap and if he only sleeps 45 mins let’s say then do a 3/3:30 min activity before bedtime. Or maybe even 3 hrs and so should I just leave him to sleep u til he wakes from his last nap and if I do and he sleeps about 1:30 what length of activity time should should it be before bed?

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 22:34:36 pm »
Sorry I wasn't very clear there. I think if you let him have a bit more A time before his second nap he will require less coaxing to go to sleep for that nap. Then you can still cap at 45min - that's perfectly reasonable, but just do say 3hr A to bed and he may sleep a bit better through the first part of the night.

I think if you let him sleep for that second nap, he will end up with too long a day.

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 23:59:15 pm »
Okay, so he woke for the day at 7am and i put him down for his first nap around 9:45 ish. he was pretty tired and had a rough night he woke about 3 times but we also traveled that day so to be expected. Please see below:
woke 7am
sleep 9:45-11am
activity 11-2:45
sleep 2:00-2:45pm
activity 2:45pm-6pm (only because i bathed him which thinking now i should have maybe skipped)
woke 6:30pm
took a bit of time for him to resettle, he was crying really hard so i went back in and rubbed his back and he was self soothing himself with his mantra cry, but when i put him down he would start outright crying again. So i picked him up and when i felt his mantra cry start to slow down i put him down and he went to sleep. I'm hoping that is the last of it tonight. Hopefully that's it.

I guess my only question is if he has a nap for 45mins in the afternoon i will go with a 3 hr activity time for bed if he does 1:30mins then should i go 3:30hrs of activity time before bed or more?

Thanks,

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 00:01:15 am »
scratch that he is awake again ..... oh my lord. Also he tends to do more of a longer activity time then most babies...... so do you think maybe i should be increasing his activity time and that maybe hes waking because he is not tired enough?

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 09:04:24 am »
woke 7amsleep 9:45-11am
This is an UT nap - I thought you were doing more like 3.5hr A time for the first one given what you wrote in your first post (6:30 WU, 10 nap). 2:45 is just not enough at this age - that's appropriate for a 6mo, not a 9mo.

activity 11-2:45sleep 2:00-2:45pm
3:45 A off a short nap - did he wake himself after 45min or did you wake him? Maybe I wasn't clear. You could probably have left him to sleep a little longer if he was still sleeping, just to extend your day and make BT a little later than 6pm.

woke 6:30pmtook a bit of time for him to resettle, he was crying really hard so i went back in and rubbed his back and he was self soothing himself with his mantra cry, but when i put him down he would start outright crying again. So i picked him up and when i felt his mantra cry start to slow down i put him down and he went to sleep. I'm hoping that is the last of it tonight. Hopefully that's it.
He's clearly OT at BT here. 3:15 A off a 45min nap is still too much for him. Going off his naps and his A times, I think he needs more A time in the morning and less before bed.

Also he tends to do more of a longer activity time then most babies...... so do you think maybe i should be increasing his activity time and that maybe hes waking because he is not tired enough?
I'm not sure which babies those are but these A times are on the short end for 9mo in my experience. He is waking through the evening because he is overtired by bedtime because he's not taking restorative naps because his first 2 A times are not long enough.

What I'd suggest for him is something like this:
WU, feed
3:45-4hr A
nap (let him sleep, though you may have to cap if going over 2hr)
3:30-3:45 A
catnap (cap at 45min)
2:30-2:45 A
in bed asleep for the night

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 13:50:17 pm »
Okay!! So I took your advice and have noticed a massive improvement as far as bed time goes. Now when I put him to bed he stays asleep. I posted the easy routine for the last few days.
Tuesday
Woke at 6am
Feed at 7am
Fell asleep at 9:15am-11:30
Eat 12pm
Sleep at 3pm- 3:45pm
Eat 4pm
Eat 5:30pm
Bath and in bed by 6:15 asleep at 6:45 pm
Dream feed at 10- accidentally woke him and finally settled at 11:20pm

Wednesday
Woke 5:15am
Feed 5:15am
Finale wake 8:20am
Eat 8:20am
Sleep-11:45-1:30pm
Eat 1:30pm
Eat 5pm
Sleep ( tried for 4:30 and he fought it all the way to 5:15) 5:15pm-5:45pm
Bedtime 8pm
Dream feed at 10

Thursday
Woke6:20am
Feed at 7am
Sleep( fell asleep on me at 9:20am)

Today I tried so hard to keep him up but he literally fell asleep on me at 9:20am. Bedtime is such a breeze now but I do notice around 4:30am he wakes ( the last few days) and I use to run in and give him the soother as that is what I thought he wanted. My hubby said to just leave him since he was not crying and see if he settles on his own. So I left him and I fell back asleep so not sure if he was up earlier then the 6:20am wake up since he fell asleep at 9:20am ( I would suspect so). Anyways I have noticed it’s been around that time the last few days. Any idea what that could be from? Maybe more activity time?
Let me know what you think! I’m trying very hard to increase his activity time and it seems to be working.

Thanks!

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 01:11:07 am »
Bedtime is such a breeze now but I do notice around 4:30am he wakes ( the last few days) and I use to run in and give him the soother as that is what I thought he wanted. My hubby said to just leave him since he was not crying and see if he settles on his own.
Great that  BT is so much easier! Absolutely worth leaving him if he's up in the middle of the night and not upset - only help him if he is upset because then he can learn how to get back to sleep - we all wake during our night sleep but we don't remember so much now as we fall back to sleep.

I fell back asleep so not sure if he was up earlier then the 6:20am wake up since he fell asleep at 9:20am ( I would suspect so). Anyways I have noticed it’s been around that time the last few days. Any idea what that could be from? Maybe more activity time?
Not sure what you're asking here, sorry.

Glad things are looking up :)

Offline Mommyadel

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 01:44:17 am »
Hey! Sorry the question was that he was waking around 4:30 and sometimes going back to sleep. Would this be from not enough activity throughout the day that would cause this early waking? I am going to leave him be in his room unless he is upset at which time I will go in a put him back to bed.

Tonight took a bit of coaching to get to go to sleep for his final bed time. Started at 6:30 and he didn’t fall asleep until 7:20... but has not made a peep since. He wasn’t fussing around 7 so I just left him to sort himself out and he fell asleep on his own after that. Maybe he just wasn’t tired enough.

Offline becj86

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 02:18:04 am »
Sorry the question was that he was waking around 4:30 and sometimes going back to sleep. Would this be from not enough activity throughout the day that would cause this early waking? I am going to leave him be in his room unless he is upset at which time I will go in a put him back to bed.
It could be that - definitely worth pushing that first A time. It can just be normal with dreams, normal transitions in sleep cycles, being slightly cooler than earlier in the night, etc. If he's not upset, leave him to it. If he's up for hours and happy, then you know you really need to give that first A time a good push. 3:15 is pretty short still for 9mo.