Author Topic: introduce dreamfeed at 9.5 months??  (Read 1330 times)

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 04, 2018, 10:22:57 am »
Hi all,

We have this issue where my son would sometimes go about 9.5hs without feed at night and so he wakes at 5-5.30am for a feed but wouldn't go back to sleep.
I'm sure he wakes because he's hungry and this doesn't happen all the time so when he wakes earlier for feed - say around 4am he would then go back to sleep until somewhere between 6 and 7am.
A couple of times I woke up around 3.30-4 am and he was still asleep and so I dreamfed and he slept through until the desired wake up time so I was wondering if I should introduce a dreamfeed (not at 3-4 am but at 10pm...) so he wouldn't wake up at 5 am anymore.
I know 9 months is a bit late to introduce dreamfeeds but what else can I do?
Another option would be a snack apart from his usual bedtime milk feed but I'm not sure if it would make a difference seeing he would have this snack around 7pm.
he is on 2 naps a day each lastig 1.5hs long approx and we have a 3.5-3.75hs awake time.
TIA

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: introduce dreamfeed at 9.5 months??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 11:47:42 am »
No personally I wouldn’t start DF at this age as many have given it up by 7-8mo (says she that’s weaning her 8.5mo off it as I couldn’t be bothered to do it before Xmas 😋)
It might well be a problem with your routine. Some LO’s can be approaching the 2-1 at this age and need a rapid increase in A time. So UT could well be the problem or teething or a combination of both. I would try increasing that first A by 15mins and hold for a few days and see if it makes a difference. Also, if he is bottle fed you could well add another ounce or two into each one if he’s draining them. Ideally you want at least an ounce left over. I know that’s not good for wastage but at least then you know he’s stopping because he’s full and not because it’s run out iykwim. Sorry just editing to add... make sure he’s having his milk first than his solids an hour later or so. Ideally he wants to be filling up on milk and not solids at this age as milk will sustain him longer. Hopefully with all these things it should help? Xx

Offline Alina.fluturas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 19:22:24 pm »
Thank you for the tips!
I am still breastfeeding although planning to wean off in about a month so will keep in mind your suggestions.
As for transitioning, I don't know what to say, it seems a little too early, from what I read, usually recommendation is to try keeping them on 2 naps until they are at least 12 months of age.
I think he may need a slight increase in A time but I would be worried about increasing it that long as to end up having one nap only bc of risk of OT.##

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: introduce dreamfeed at 9.5 months??
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:13:57 am »
The transition is a process Hun that may take a few months. The 2-1 starts because there’s not enough hours in the day to have two long naps anymore and therefore have to cut one slightly shorter. One nap may be a long way off yet! So please don’t just straight there! Any increase in A time is done slowly like adding 15mins then holding for a few days to see if that yields a better nap, if so hold it until things start tomorrow to awry again.

In terms of the BF, I would just always offer at least an hour before solids so he fills up on milk and that’s the best you can do! Xx

Offline Alina.fluturas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 15:00:47 pm »
Thank you, I understand; I thought you meant transition staight to 1 nap!
I agree the morning nap needs to be reduced to 45miins-1h, my first did that on her own but this one seems to need some help.