Author Topic: 4 month sleep regression!  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Skyofclouds

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 02, 2017, 23:58:29 pm »
Hi, im wondering if anyone can help me with the 4 month sleep regression
LO has no sleep props, and can put herself to sleep both for naps and bedtime. She’s recently transitioned to 3-3.5 hour routine and grown out of her 45 min cat nap and can have 1.5 to 2 hour naps now with self settling in between.

At night, she used to sleep from 7pm- midnight then wake at 3 and 6am for feeds

However the past 1 week she has been waking every 2 hours at night!
Initially thought it was a growth spurt so I fed her and she took a full feed each time except for the 330-430am wake

For the past 2 nights she took about an hour of shh pat and PU/PD to settle at the 4am wake and by the time she falls asleep its almost time for the next feed

Her usual routine
EA 730
S 930
EA 1030
S 1230
EA 2pm
S 4-5pm nap in pram or carrier while out for a walk
E 530
6pm bath and bedtime routine
630 feed top up, 730 bed

Night wake ups
1130 feed
230 feed
430 wake, took 1 hour of shush pat, finally asleep at 530
600 feed
0800 wake for the day

Any advice for that 4am wake and how to tackle this sleep regression? Thanks in advance!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 4 month sleep regression!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 21:19:17 pm »
Sorry your post appears to have been missed. How are things now?

I think it would help to increase her first A time - see that 1hr nap suggests she's UT after the 2hr there and that can cause long NWs like your 4am one.

Offline Skyofclouds

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 17:11:24 pm »
We have made some progress, now at 19 weeks having 3 night wakings only instead of 4
1130-1230am, 2.30-3am, 530am

I breastfeed to sleep at night

The amount of night wakings/feeds has not changed since 7-8 weeks, except for 2 fluke nights where she slept 7-6 with only one feed at night, those were after her 4 month vaccinations

Given she drinks about 180ml EBM every 3-3.5 hours during the day I don’t believe she really needs the extra feed at 230-3am

Last 3 nights I tried shushpat/PUPD during that 2.30-3am waking, shes cried inconsolably and woke the whole house out. Gave up at 45 mins and breastfed to sleep, no issues getting back to sleep affer feeding

I dont mind the 530am feed as thats when im getting ready for work anyway

Am I expecting too much to have 7-midnight then midnight to 5am with only one feed at midnight??

This is driving me nuts as I need my sleep back, has been affecting my work with a high stakes job!

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:54:32 am »
Am I expecting too much to have 7-midnight then midnight to 5am with only one feed at midnight??
Yes, at this age, you are. Some babies can do it but most can't. Most will only do one long stretch. Can someone else do a feed then with EBM so you can get more solid sleep?

How's her day going now? I suspect she might need a bit more A time through the day given she's got some UT naps of less than 1.5hr in there...

Offline Elauriel

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 17:37:02 pm »
My son just turned 5 months yesterday and I have the EXACT same night wakeup schedule. Until 4 months he woke up 1 or 2 times at night and then 2 weeks before 4 months BAM sleep regression. He goes to bed around 7/730, and wakes to eat at 11ish, 2, 4 (is awake for an hour at 4) and 6 (and is pretty spry at 6 but not as awake at 4). Son #1 sleeps in the room next to us (we are cosleeping on the nursery floor now), so I have to quiet son #2 quickly to keep from waking the house. I can actually hear his little tummy growling at some wakings, so even though he's waking more than he was at 3 months I feel like he needs these feedings. I'm pushing for more awake time today. Hoping that helps the 4am waking because that's the worst. I have to bounce him on a ball to get him to go back to sleep and he is WIDE awake... :/

Sorry you have a high stakes job to deal with in the day after all that :(

Offline Skyofclouds

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 06:53:33 am »
LO is now 5 months, pushing to 2.5 hours AT, no problems with 2x 1.5 hrs day naps now, however still battling the night wakings!

Previously we were getting a good stretch from 7-midnight, but now the wakings are more like 1030, 230, 330 then 430.. no amount of shush-pat would console her (We could do an hour of shush pat then Ill have to feed to sleep)..

Going to try to feed 3 hourly during the day to see if helps with cutting out a night waking
Also have just started small amounts of solids, hasn’t changed the waking frequency :(

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:13:15 am »
Is she still having a catnap as well?

Wrt wakings... how long has that been going on? Ciuld be a growth spurt. Could also be gas for those ones hourly after the 2:30 feed.

Offline Skyofclouds

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 15:44:18 pm »
No more catnap.
So after I typed the last reply, a miracle happened and we SSTN 7-7!! Im think its because on New Yeara Day we got no day time sleep due to being out the whole day: doesnt nap very well when out in the pram.. sadly lasted onnly 1 night though its now back to 2-3 wakings but not hourly as before
Sigh babies are weird!!!

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 21:45:28 pm »
So after I typed the last reply, a miracle happened and we SSTN 7-7!! Im think its because on New Yeara Day we got no day time sleep due to being out the whole day:
Sounds like she just crashed!

What does her EAS look like at the moment? When is she waking at night?