Author Topic: Severe engorgement management..... Urgent help advice needed  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Pearla

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Severe engorgement management..... Urgent help advice needed
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:53:31 am »
Please advise on how to manage severe engorgement.   My milk came in yesterday and my engorgement is severe. My boobs are rock hard with lumps up into armpit.

I have continued feeding but lo does not come close to draining breast so feels pretty much the same after as before.   My lo is also sleepy and jaundiced.

It is unimaginable pain and I'm finding it very stressful and upsetting.

I started with the cabbage leaves today.  I combined a massage with some hand expression taking just shy of an Oz of each side to try and avoid blocked ducts.

My question is how do I manage this, and how long should I expect it to last????  I am conflicted over expressing because I'm worried it will only increase my supply
  Is an Oz too much???

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.   I have two other kiddies to watch, and baba does not sleep great so finding the time to massage,  express etc. Difficult.   Nevermind the sleep depravation!!

Looking forward to some advice.
Thanks.  Claire.

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Severe engorgement management..... Urgent help advice needed
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 17:06:55 pm »
Cabbage leaves for Sure. Keep some in the fridge and keep swapping them out of your bra. Don’t expeess too much, just enough to relieve the pain. It should pass in a day or so.

Offline ZanesOTmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 21:39:04 pm »
Hi. I had the same issue. My LO was jaundiced and also sleepy/weak, not eating as much (even though I thought he was but am a FTM). We were sent to the hospital by GP and I was seen by the lactation consultant. Same thing - very engorged breasts because it wasn’t being emptied. Do you have access to a pump? I had to pump and while doing so, deeply massaging the hard/lumpy parts especially. Also when I BF, I had to do deep massage so LO can get the high/fatty milk. I know it can be painful. Hang in there!! And I hope your LO recovers from jaundice soon.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 13:27:20 pm »
Has it settled down now?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011