Author Topic: Capping first nap almost 12 month old  (Read 2182 times)

Offline CbabyJ

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:17:10 am »
Thanks to the help I received on these boards, I was down to a good schedule the last couple of weeks. Something like -
WU 625
S 1030-12/1230 - woke if still sleeping past 1230
S330-4 always woke by 415 even if only 20 min nap
BT 715
He’s been super happy recently and obviously well rested which is a massive improvement over pre-Christmas.

The afternoon nap is always hard to squeeze in and has been skipped a couple of times- when this happens, my LO doesn’t seem to suffer for it in the evening, we just put him down earlier 630-645.  However he does wake early in the morning. He also has a few night cries - crying but putting himself to sleep.

I’m scared to changed his schedule - should I cap the nice morning nap to squeeze in a second nap or just push to one nap.  Knowing that a push to one nap might mean crappy mornings in the short term?
If I do go the one nap route should I try to keep him up for his first nap until at least 11 even if he has early waking (e.g. 530am)

My LO never really seems overly tired in the morning and I think I could stretch that morning awake time easily as long as we don’t get in a car!

Thanks!

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Capping first nap almost 12 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 20:14:53 pm »
I would recommend always having one nap that is long, ie. Lo wakes themselves or you don't cap before 2hr. That will be a godsend come one-nap time. Your day can still get longer, so you can push that first A time a bit more and APOP a short CN in there somewherr in the afternoon. I'd not worry too much about keeping that PM nap in the crib now, just take a 10-15min drive or walk or something at that time 8f you can.

You can alternate one and two nap days for a while depending on how he is going on a given day if you have the flexibility. If you do one nap, you may need to be able to do a 13hr night for a while given how young he is. When you do one nap days at the moment, he could probably go down a little earlier than 6:45 and that may help with the mornings.

Offline CbabyJ

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 16:25:35 pm »
Thank you!
So my Lo has just started Daycare three days a week.  She is finding that he does a short 45min-60min nap in the morning at 10. Then she puts him down at 1 and he sleeps till245-3pm.
I think he does a long morning nap for me because he actually fully wakes after 45-60mins but I let him fall back asleep.  Whereas she gets him.

So I’m confused as to what to do on days he’s at home.  I have no idea how he falls asleep so easily for her after only 2 hours awake time after the morning nap.  And I need 3.5-4 hrs awake even after a short nap.

Following his daycare days he does wake early in the morning  which makes me wonder whether he’s overtired despite racking up a decent nap total during the day. Or maybe his long afternoon nap is making him more rested so that he doesn’t need to go down so early in the evening.  Whereas on my days he has a short Pm catnap.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 22:33:54 pm »
You can certainly do different things at daycare vs at home - that's fine for most babies.

She is finding that he does a short 45min-60min nap in the morning at 10. Then she puts him down at 1 and he sleeps till245-3pm.
I wonder if 10 is a little early for the first nap and he's waking early because of that - when is he waking for the day?

I can certainly see why LOs go back to sleep better at daycare after a shorter A time - lots more stimulation and she's probably putting everyone down for naps at 1pm so there's an element of monkey see, monkey do though he's napping pretty well so that's good.

Or maybe his long afternoon nap is making him more rested so that he doesn’t need to go down so early in the evening.
This is a possibility too. Its so hard to know. Does his behaviour give you any clues?