Author Topic: 11mo old 5am wake up  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
11mo old 5am wake up
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:09 am »
My 11.5mo old is in the habit of waking at 5am!

Typical schedule:

5am wu 10oz Bottle
6am Breakfast
8am nap 45min
11 Lunch
Noon Nap 1-1.5h
2pm snack
4pm Dinner
6pm 10oz Bottle+ Bed time

In total, he sleeps about 11hrs at night and gets two naps in (for about 2hrs/2.5h in total)
Do you thinks he's shifting to one nap a day? Today, I let him only sleep 30 min in the morning (because we had to take his siblings to preschool) and then at 11:15 he went down again. Now its been 1.5hrs and he's still sleeping.

Or, do I try making bed time later?

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 11mo old 5am wake up
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 22:35:23 pm »
I would try to bring the WU later by shifting/capping that first nap. There are a few options:
- Move to one long nap ~11:30 (let him sleep, don't wake him) and see how you go, throw in a little catnap in the afternoon if he can't make it to BT.
- Given his night is pretty good and he seems to have coped ok with this routine for a while, you could try shifting the whole routine later by 15min every few days and see if that shifts WU later.

Has he always bee LSN? Its pretty early to drop to one nap and it can come back to bite pretty hard if you go to one nap too early.
I personally think its important when moving towards one nap that LO has one long nap that's not capped before 2hr so they're in the habit of sleeping a long nap in the day otherwise it can go sideways very quickly.

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 19:49:57 pm »
Because of circumstances I have been capping his first nap to 30-45min.
His second nap at around 11:30 will then usually last about 1.5hrs.

What does LSN mean? I couldn't find the meaning.

What about a sleep regression? I read that i can take place around this age. Would it cause early mornings?

I think I'll stick with a morning cat nap + one regular nap if that is a good idea. By 6pm, he won't let me hold him before bed. He pushes me away and wants to go to bed directly. -Makes for an easy bed time. :)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 20:27:13 pm »
LSN = low sleep needs. What he's doing at the moment is pretty normal for his age but to go to one nap now would be quite early.

It could be a sleep regression, the rest of his sleep is pretty good though and given he's doing a solid 11hr night, 5am is not an unreasonable time for him to wake. I think its probably more likely that his sleep needs are reducing as they do at LO's get older and if you were to cap that early catnap at 20-30mins, you may have a bit of luck but I think with BT at 6, WU at 5 is reasonable.

Its sensible to keep with the CN and a long nap, so I'd stick with that for now.