Author Topic: Need help/advice with 9 month  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: January 15, 2018, 22:29:58 pm »
Baby is almost 9 months and no eating ir at least i think is not enough. Here is her schedule.
730 5/6 oz milk
830/9 am little banana and dome ham
10 nap for 2 hours
12 6 oz milk
1:30/2 some rice/carrot/ chicken like 1 chunk of each
3 nap
4 3or 1 oz milk
5:30 some Fruit/ham/rice cookies
7:30 7 oz milk.

When i say some is like she barely touches her food.
I am worried she doesnt want any new food. Try more ir something different.
She skeeps  througj the night bit is a thin baby.
So should i worry? How ir why she está some?? Why is she not interested un solid food?
She wont open mouth if spoon fed. At all!!!
Please helo here!!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 16:23:32 pm by Mom2X&F&V »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Need help/advice with 9 month
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 19:54:27 pm »
Hi there

I think the first thing is to try not to worry - easy said, I know we pretty much all worry about our LOs eating at some point - but lots of babies at 9 months are only just starting to show interest in solids and it could be that your DD is more interested in a week or two or in a month.

The other thing to remember is that their tummies are still very small so a few bites can fill her up and meals are not expected to be very big yet, gradually the amount she eats will increase.  She is still getting all the "food" (and nutrients) she needs from her formula milk so there is no need to worry about that.
There is also no need to be concerned about her being "thin" so long as she continues to gain weight and follows her centile line on the chart (moving one centile line is also okay but if it is more than that or you are worried about weight gain I would suggest seeing her doctor).

A few things can impact on interest in solids.  Was she born full term?  Any health issues?  Any night feeds or dream feed?

A couple of things to think about in terms of what she is eating:
- rice is very low in nutrients and fills the tummy without really offering much benefit so in a way it is a wasted mouthful.  You could switch to another food instead of rice perhaps?  How about mini pancakes (which you can make with fruit or veg in), mini muffins (no sugar and again with fruit or veg there are heaps of amazing baby friendly recipes around these days), or some plain pasta twists, toast fingers, or oaty chews or oat fingers?
- ham is usually high in salt content which is not good for young babies and children. The salt allowance for babies under 12 months is very low and easily exceeded if you offer high salt foods.  Perhaps consider switching to a different meat protein?  Chicken?  Boiled chicken breast is nice and soft for little babies and if you cut into big chunks it takes almost no time to cook too.
- various fruit and veg is great to offer, LOs can just learn about the different tastes and textures of the foods even without eating a great deal. Becoming familiar with these tastes now should help her to gradually become more accustomed to these flavours - so just keep offering.
- lots of babies are not spoon fed, there is no problem she doesn't like you to spoon feed her, just offer wedges/chunky foods she can easily pick up and explore for herself. (I never spoon fed mine at all, I did introduce a fork though and he would accept a pre-loaded fork to self feed)

So should i worry?
I hope I've given enough reassurance that you need not worry yet.  If you would like some more tips for foods just ask, and there are lots of ideas on the recipe board too.  Chances are her weight gain is fine and she will show more interest soon.

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 21:55:34 pm »
Thanks a lot!! It is unsalted turkey ham. I need to stop worrying. Thanks. I would love to know about oaty funger or oaty chews...how can i do them. Believe me. Ive tried every fruit and veggie as finger food.
Ill keep on trying. Pancakes and muffins recipe can i find in the forum? Thanks a Lot.

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 14:48:11 pm »
oaty funger or oaty chews...how can i do them.

Pancakes and muffins recipe can i find in the forum?
Yes the recipes for all of these are around somewhere in the baby food recipes board. Here is a link to the board so you can have a browse around the various threads there:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=10.0
 but I'll also do my best to hunt out some specific recipes for you too :)

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 15:03:59 pm »
On page 4 of the recipe thread you will find various oaty chew recipes - you can alter it pretty easily which is why I made various flavours to try out with my DS.  When mine was younger I made them kind of like a flap jack spread out on a baking ray and sliced when still warm out of the over into squares. When he was older I made individual chews by packing the mixture down into a min muffin tray (these would have been too big for him when younger but they are more convenient to make in my opinion)
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=186135.45

The oaty/porridge fingers are made in a microwave. I've never made them myself but they are hugely popular with lots of people, I found an external link for a basic recipe and a couple of variations:
http://blwequipment.weebly.com/blog/a-trio-of-porridge-fingers#.Wl9k3PbLjLE

I can see a couple of pancake and muffin recipes on that thread (earlier pages on the same link), you might be happy with those or look around for a sugar free version.  Personally I always made sugar free.  Not sure where the recipes are just now so I'll have to come back to you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 19:12:48 pm by creations »

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 19:13:40 pm »
I've now added a few recipes for muffins and pancakes to the same thread. Once I had a basic recipe (not sure where from originally) I generally just made it up adding whatever I fancied.  Hope you find them useful.