Author Topic: Shh pat for NW  (Read 1410 times)

Offline SNSmith

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:28:39 am »
Sorry if this is a silly question but how long do I shh pat for a NW. I suspect it’s not hunger but it’s hard to be sure and DD has woken DH which I feel bad about. Anyway LO is 14 weeks and has slept some nights from 7:45pm to 3:30am at which point I feed (breast+bottle) and put down again, often not needing any additional soothing so possibly too drowsy? Some nights it’s not so long of sleep depending if LO is OT. Tonight she was down by 8 with shh pat, woke at 10 which is quite unusual and DH used his pinkie as a paci- she slept until 1am then I did shh pat for an hour before trying a feed but she fell to sleep before a full feed so I wonder if this is an association issue and not a hunger issue? How long do I shh pat for a NW at this age? Thank you!

Offline SNSmith

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 10:53:27 am »
Yesterdays routine:
(Previous night fed at 3:30am and had to be resettled at 6am but otherwise slept through)
7:40am awake
8am feed
9:35am sleep (took 20 mins shh pat)
10:10am awake
10:30am feed
11:50am sleep
12:30pm awake
1:30pm feed
2:25pm sleep (in sling on a walk)
3:00pm awake
3:30pm feed (wanted a catnap before bedtime so fed a bit early)
4:35pm sleep
4:45pm awake, needed more settling
4:50-5:10pm catnap
5:30pm feed
6:15pm bath, swaddle
6:45pm top up bottle
7:45pm sleep
10pm woke? Sucked on DH pinkie
1am awake, seemed a mantra cry but not sure. would nearly settle then cry again for 1 hr.
2am feed but DD fell asleep before full feed, when transferred to crib she wiggles a bit but settled with shh pat

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Shh pat for NW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 19:54:26 pm »
Sorry if this is a silly question
No questions are silly.  Please don't apologise for asking.

Rather than thinking about how long you should shush/pat in the night though I'd be thinking more in terms of getting her fed rather than trying to put it off.
The examples you've given show that she can sleep a lovely long stretch some nights and that's great.  She is still very young though and depending what she has done in the day, when she fed, how much energy she used up (in play or crying or in developmental milestones) or if she is having a growth spurt then she might be hungry sooner in the night.  I can understand the 10pm soothing back to sleep as it had probably only been about 2hrs since the BT feed and if she went off quite quickly with soothing then my guess is she probably wasn't hungry.  By 1am though it has been a long stretch since the last feed at BT, 5hrs or so, which is classed as "sleeping through the night" so I think rather than spending lots of time trying to resettle I would have suggested feeding right away.  One possible reason for not taking a full feed could be that she was just too tired by that point having been awake for an hour and perhaps crying or fussing for an hour and so just took what she needed to tide her over and went back off to sleep.

3:30am at which point I feed (breast+bottle) and put down again, often not needing any additional soothing so possibly too drowsy?
If she can be put down and not need additional soothing that's fine.

It's not always easy to know in just one or two nights if LO is waking at a different time for a reason or what the reason is but I'd suggest if it's been 3-4hrs since the last feed then it's okay to go ahead with a feed and get everyone back to bed as quickly as you can.

Offline SNSmith

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 20:35:39 pm »
Ok thanks very much! So if she begins waking more frequently in the night than 3-4 hrs should I shh pat so as not to create a dependence on me to go back to sleep?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Shh pat for NW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:02:09 am »
In general you can probably expect not to feed at less than 3hrs over night, yes, however there can be reasons for needing more frequent feeds such as illness (coming on or recovery from) or growth spurts so don't worry about dependence if it's just the odd night or a run of a few nights for a growth spurt.