Author Topic: I need a quick answer pls  (Read 1799 times)

Offline dache

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
I need a quick answer pls
« on: January 17, 2018, 20:20:49 pm »
Dd has been very fussy and crying hard since yesterday. She is feeding whenever she wants, from 30 minutes between feeds till 2h. Even at nights she doesn't go longer than 2-2.5h. I decided to try and pump to see what I get. I couldn't get 1oz from both breasts after 30 minutes pumping.
My breasts are soft and feel empty when I try hand expressing milk is coming so I guess she can get a bit more.
I feel lost because she chokes from milk coming too fast but it may be too little?
I have formula but I dont want to rush in since I feel I got the hang of bfing. Should I gave her a bottle to see if she is better? I was thinking maybe wait until tomorrow and give her on second or third feed to see if her day is better. But she is really unsettled, she is taking her first long nap now at 9pm. What should I do?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: I need a quick answer pls
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 23:37:30 pm »
How old is she? Pumping really gives no indication of what a baby takes at the breast - I had oversupply all 3 times I bg and I could barely pump unless it was first thing in the morning and I was super engorged I would get a few oz.

Does your milk always let down fast?
Heidi

Offline dache

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 23:54:48 pm »
She is just over a month old. I know pumping doesnt show how much the baby gets but I've pumped a few days ago and got more. My breasts felt engored and heavy than, today it was the oposite.
Yes, fast letdown is an issue we've been working to fix. I started feeding one side per feed, but I ofer the second one just in case she is hungry, sometimes she takes if some times not.
Her food is green for almost two weeks with strings and mucus. Her pead told me to give her probioics and that helped with the strings but her poo is still green with mucus. I'm dairy free for 3 weeks now. I was thinking it had to do with oversuply, foremilk hind milk imbalabce or intolerance. We are waiting till monday to see if it gets better.
I decided to take her in my bed and feed her every time she wakes. She uses to wake every 3h now it's 1-2h. Hoping we can get some rest and she is not hungry. We'll see how it goes

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 00:12:36 am »
Ok so has been a few years since I bf but I know with DD2 and DD3 to a smaller extent I ended up block feeding due to OALD and fore/hind milk imbalance. DD2 I basically ended up feeding from one side for a few feeds in a row before switching. Also wondering abouy a growth spurt? Cannot remember are they around 2/4/6 weeks of age in general?
Heidi

Offline dache

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:11:36 am »
We made it through the night. She fed a lot but we managed a bit of sleep as well. Considering I was sleep deprived and it was middle of the night what I wrote makes a lot more sense than I expected lol

She had a growth spurt a week ago. She is rolling halfway almost to her tummy, smiling amd cooing, and she is holding her head for long periods. I know that's a lot for such a small person. She was very fussy than. Than had two days where she was ok and now this.

Offline dache

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 01:09:25 am »
Is it normal that I pump less than an oz even if it's been 2h since she fed on the breast? I have less on that brest but still I find it odd that I get nothing.
Maybe I need a new pump

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 23:55:08 pm »
It's your choice if you wish to mix feed but it doesn't sound necessary. There are normally breastfeeding solutions to breastfeeding problems.

You could try a new valve or parts for your pump but some people just don't respond well to the pump. It doesn't mean your dd isn't getting milk. The breasts are constantly making milk during a feed. Breasts do settle down and stop feeling full. It isn't an indication of supply issues.

I would just put her to the breast when she signals for it as long as she's having wet and dirty nappies.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dache

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:28 am »
Well,  I got my period so I guess that's the reason. Lucky me getting my period 5 weeks after giving birth 😁
I got it yesterday and things improved right away. She is doing great with gaining weight and growing sonI'm ok with waiting a bit to fugure things out. I just feel bad when she is upset and crying

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 12:04:24 pm »
Oh yes it could be that. For what its worth i got periods at 5wks with all mine but i think it was actually the post partum bleeding finishing because i then didn't get another until 9mo or later. Sometimes they just dont like the change in taste around AF.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline dache

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 12:43:14 pm »
For what its worth i got periods at 5wks with all mine but i think it was actually the post partum bleeding finishing because i then didn't get another until 9mo or later.
I'm really really hoping that will happen for me too. With dd I got my period around the same time and it continued as usual. I hoped that this time with breastfeeding going better I'd get some time being af is back