Author Topic: 9.5 months already almost ready for only 1 nap???  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Confused New Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9.5 months already almost ready for only 1 nap???
« on: February 02, 2018, 17:59:31 pm »
So, for a long time my daughter would only sleep for 37 minutes at a time. 
At around 7 months, we got that all ironed out.  She sleeps 10.5-11 hours at night, and then has two naps, usually for 1-1.5 hours. 
I log her sleep on an app and pay attention to how long it takes her to fall asleep when I put her down.  When she stays awake and plays for awhile before going to sleep, I push her awake time.  If she acts tired before the normal time, I put her down early (though she rarely does).   Using this method has helped us get pretty good naps.
But her awake time is already at 3 hours 50 minutes!!  It's getting hard to squeeze in the second nap, especially if she sleeps 12 hours like she did last night.  She woke at 7:20 and napped from 11:10-12:30.  Now I don't know how to get another nap in before bed.  I suppose I can let her take a very short catnap at 4:20 but I worry that will mess up night sleep.  Her 7:30 bed time is pretty locked in at this point.
She's happy and mobile and doesn't act tired.  9.5 months seems so early to go to one nap, though!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 9.5 months already almost ready for only 1 nap???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 19:02:01 pm »
Hi there
At this age it's very common to have one long nap and one short nap and the routine can stay like that for some time (from a few months to a year) before a LO actually drops down to 1 nap per day.
As you know her best you might be able to work out the best way forward with routine yourself.  Often a longer A time and longer nap followed by a shorter A time (not so short she refuses to go to sleep, you don't want a fight) and a short nap.  The A time before BT caries depending on the child, some need it short, some long.  It could be though that during this transition period you accept a later BT if she refuses to go down at the regular time due to having too short an A time.  They don't always refuse though, mine liked a short last A time so his BT didn't go later than 8pm (moved gradually from 7pm).  It might seem like loss of Y time to have a later BT but eventually when the CN is dropped you'll do early BT and get extra Y time - in theory.

As a very rough example it could be something like:
WU 7
A 4hr
S 11 - 12.30
A 3hr 30
S 4.00 - 4.30
A 3hr30
BT 8pm
11hr night

Here's a link about it as it is so common at 10 months (or a bit earlier/later) for the routine to start to change:
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=163278.0

Offline Confused New Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9.5 months already almost ready for only 1 nap???
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 19:03:44 pm »
thanks!  I'll try that and see what happens