Author Topic: Multiple night wakings and EASY problems 6mo  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Elauriel

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Multiple night wakings and EASY problems 6mo
« on: January 18, 2018, 17:54:48 pm »
I posted this in the NW board, but thought maybe it's more of an easy schedule problem, so I'm posting it here, too.

Son 2 is 6 months this week. We have a fairly identical routine every day, so at least I can keep it consistent. I have some props that I am still using because of the holidays and then a horrible run of sickness that I haven't taken the time to get rid of. Here is our schedule pretty much every day:

Awake: 7:00
E
A
S: 9:00-11:00 (wakes up once and I put back to sleep)
E
A
S: 1:15-3:00/3:15 (wakes once or twice and I put back to sleep)
E
A
S: 5:30-5:50
A
E
S: 8/8:15
UP: 8:30, 9, 9:45, 10:15 (I feed at the 10:00ish waking because he seems to 'need' it and drinks a lot)
Wakes up all night long but we cosleep since the 4 months sleep regression so I can sleep too.

I tried stretching the awake times to 2hr15min but it just seemed to make him fussier in the day and not sleep better. Should I keep pushing to reach 2hr30min? Then our day will start around 7 and end around 9 and that just seems too long for me :/ I looked at the sample EASY schedules and none seemed to fit - one had the last awake time at 1hr but I thought the last awake time was usually longest?

He has always, always woken up 30 minutes after he goes to bed. Sometimes he's good until 10 and sometimes the wakings keep happening. Thanks for any help!

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Multiple night wakings and EASY problems 6mo
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 19:50:10 pm »
Hey, both of us are in the same boat and I have yet to solve our NW problems but just at a glance, your A time looks really short. We are at the same age and just reached 3h A, with DD being an average sleep needs baby. If you push his A time he will be fussy a day or two till his body adjusts and his nap may go to 30min instead of a long one. Shift 10-15 and hold a few days till you hit the sweet spot and hopefully nw stop.
If it helps our sample EASY is
WU 7.30
S 10.30 nap1
WU 12.00
S 3.00pm nap2
WU 4.30pm
BT 7.30pm
Or
WU 7.30am
S 10.30 nap1
WU 12.00
S 3.00 CN1
WU 3.30
S 5.30 CN2
WU 6.00
Bed time 8.00

Try keep your day to 12-13

I hope this helps. I’m sure someone will be along with more practical advice.

Good luck from another co-sleeping mom of a horrible night sleeper 😂

Offline Elauriel

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 22:05:45 pm »
Thanks! I feel like I have an average sleep needs baby as well.  Thank you for your schedules - none of the ones in the files really matched but yours are very helpful! Bummer that I have to pick son 1 up from school at 3:30, so it will be a catnap for sure, but probably only 10 minutes :/ It's so freezing cold here that I wouldn't even want to leave early, although he is so bundled up maybe he wouldn't mind. I did push his A time today to 2h15m with the hopes of doing 2h30m in a few days, and he did fine with naps but still woke up once for each nap. Mostly I didn't know how a 2h30m A time fit with 2 big naps and a cat nap, and NOT going to bed at 9, haha. I guess that will just be for a few days while we transition to 3h. I've been trying to keep that 12-13 hour day, so maybe I should keep the naps on the shorter side in order to make this all work.

We're still working on that rocking to sleep thing :/ It's so hard to stop because it's so easy! *sigh*

Thanks again, and I'll report back after a few days.

Offline Elauriel

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 22:08:50 pm »
Also, I notice in your catnap day scenario you do 2h A after the catnap and 2h A before bed. This doesn't make her UT at bedtime? Since she can do 3h A on a good day and 2h is so far off - just curious how that affects her. When I was doing all this with son 1 I always had a shorter A time in the beginning of the day and a longer one right before bed, so should it be the opposite? He was a bad sleeper, too, so it never made a difference, haha.

Offline eva026

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 09:21:00 am »
Why don’t you hop onto the baby boards, we can chat there?

I find she’s usually pretty tired after 2 CNs so BT isn’t too bad. Guess she works the other way around, her mornings are longer and by evening she’s tired and doesn’t last long. Although this is all work in progress, she’s only on day 2 of a 3h A. She was on 2.45 previously and it was a bit easier to fit it all in.
I’m sure someone will be along soon to help you set up a new routine with the longer A and taking into account your nursery school pick up.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:25 am »
Hi there Elauriel
I agree with eva that the A time is on the short side for a 6 month old and shifting gradually towards 3hrs would likely be more suitable.

Those multiple NWs in the early part of the night could possibly be due to a bit of OT at the end of the day.
You are right that some LOs like a longer A time at the end of the day, but they can also do better with a shorter A time at the end of the day too (mine did very long first A and short last A) so it just depends on what suits your LO.  It may sound a little confusing for us to suggest increasing the A times but that there might also be some OT by BT - the reason I'm guessing a touch of OT is because both long naps are resettled and might not be a really good sleep (longer A time may help get 2 solid naps) and also because LO is getting the longest A time before and after a 30 min CN.  I think I'd aim for longer A times before/after the long naps.

Increasing the A time in increments of 15 mins every few days should help to avoid OT naps.  The routine might be a bit messy whilst you make the changes as you might need a late CN and late BT for a few days until you can drop the CN and move BT earlier.  it should settle down though.

To fit in with school runs you might want to try to make WU later, 7.30am so your 2 nap routine could look something like:
WU 7.30
A 3hr
S 10.30 - 12.30
A 3 hr
S 3.30 - 5.30
A 2.5/3hr
BT 8pm/8.30pm

Here's a link for the birth club board Eva recommended if you'd like to pop over there for a chat
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=103.0

Eva, thanks for stopping by to 'pay it forward' :)

I have no idea how either of you manage to co-sleep. The very rare occasion I had my DS in with me (or me in with him) neither of us have slept well at all and I'd put the multiple NWs down to co-sleeping. In fact my DS knows he doesn't sleep well with me so it is only if he is very poorly and he prioritises closeness and hugs over good sleep (and not just because he is 7yo, he was like that as a baby too).

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 14:03:46 pm »
Believe me I’m the last person who expected to be cosleeping. Definitely didn’t with DD1! DD2 is just a totally different baby and has been on my and clingy since day 1. With all the nw and still 3 NF cosleeping is the only way I can get any sleep at all. If I had to resettle her back in her cot every time I’d be a zombie. At least I’m only half of one now.

Offline Elauriel

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 14:44:36 pm »
Thank you both so much for your help! I think having the longer A time in the morning and early afternoon would be perfect! That would really fit our schedule. Having the nap at 3:30 wouldn't work because I drive 2 blocks to pick up my son and come back. It's a 15 minute ordeal where I park walk into school and come home, so the baby would never have a chance to nap. I honestly have no idea how to make that nap happen at that time. Of course when we come home son 1 wants to go on about his day and I don't want to run in the door at 3:45 and tell him to watch TV while I put the baby down for 20 minutes. I could probably do this schedule:

Wake 6:45
E
A
S: 9:45-11:45
E
A
S: 2:45-3:15
A
S: 5:15-5:45
E
A
S: 7:45

This might be the best I can do. And it kills me to not give him good naps because honestly he kinda likes to sleep and I have an Etsy shop to run while he's sleeping. Son 1 hated to sleep and I had nothing in the world to do, haha. Isn't it always that way.

And the cosleeping thing is amazing for us! Never did it with son 1, but the baby just wakes up opens his mouth, comfort nurses for a minute and then I fall asleep. It's so easy, but I fall asleep in like a minute whenever I want. It's a special ability of mine, haha.

I will work towards this if you think it's a good schedule. I don't have much free time to chat, but if things start going off I will make the time. Thanks ladies!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 14:55:52 pm »
I'd be wary of only offering two CNs in place of a long nap plus a CN which is what you are transitioning from (and with one long nap left in place) but it seems to be working for Eva so if you feel that's the routine that fits your family then go for it :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 14:57:49 pm by creations »

Offline Elauriel

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 16:26:56 pm »
Well...I'm not sure how it will work for son 2, but I don't have a choice. I have to leave at 3:20ish to get my son 1, so the baby will be woken up at 3:20 no matter what. My other options are:

up 6
S: 9-11
S: 2-3:30
6:30 bed

up 6:30
S: 9:30-11:30
S: 2:30-3:30
6:30 bed

And either scenario has me waking up at 6 (yuck after being up all night), and trying to keep 4 yo son 2 quiet after dinner. Oh, and we usually eat at 6...soo.....it looks like I'm going to either have an overtired baby, or a long day, or no dinner, or no sleep myself. Haha, none of these scenarios sounds ideal  :)

Offline eva026

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 17:52:04 pm »
I’ve just literally started with it. Fingers crossed it works for both of us.