Author Topic: 3 yrs old NW  (Read 1971 times)

Offline sszskristy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 21, 2018, 11:43:26 am »
DD is 3 yrs and 2 mths old now, she generally is a good sleeper, sleep in her own room and self settle since 4 mths old. We had SR several times, she would wake up at night everyday during this 4-6 week period, after it passed, she would turn back to normal and wouldn’t  NW even when routine changed for some reason or spend a tired day.

But since she was almost 3, she started to wake up at night occitionally. If it happens everyday I will see it as another SR. But it happens without no pattern. I just don’t get it.

She takes nap on random days now, normally 2-3 times per week. It happened half year ago, so it does not seem like a transition problem.

Sometimes she had a very tired day but she sleep good. Sometimes she just stayed at home with me for the whole day and did some quiet activities and she would wake up. So it doesn’t seem like related to overtired or bad dream.

When she wakes up she would ask someone to sit or lie down with her  for 1 minutes and then go back to sleep very soon.

Can anybody give some advice please.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 3 yrs old NW
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:13:02 am »
Hello, there is a regression at the year mark so it could be that? Could also be the nap dropping and the inconsistency that brings with it.

I am not sure there is much you can do if the NWs are short and goes back to sleep quickly other than ride it out.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:27:36 pm »
Hello, there is a regression at the year mark so it could be that? Could also be the nap dropping and the inconsistency that brings with it.

I am not sure there is much you can do if the NWs are short and goes back to sleep quickly other than ride it out.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Thanks for replying. To be honest I didn’t know there was a SR at 3 yrs old *-* But yes it is not that tough....Hope is will pass...Thanks anyway, feel better now^_^

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 19:09:25 pm »
We had SR several times, she would wake up at night everyday during this 4-6 week period, after it passed, she would turn back to normal
Many of us (me included) experience sleep regressions with our LOs at every birthday.  What you describe sounds just like my DS every year.  Often developmental leaps at the half year cause a period of disturbed sleep too.  It always passes. I always just go to him and offer comfort. Sometimes he needs lots of extra help, sometimes he doesn't need anything but NWs, makes noises, and goes back to sleep on his own.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 21:09:16 pm »
oh yes - every birthday and half birthday are potential regressions. We didn't have the half year ones but huge birthday ones. I am happy to report that he was 8 last week and it has not been so bad this year!

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:24:16 am »
We had SR several times, she would wake up at night everyday during this 4-6 week period, after it passed, she would turn back to normal
Many of us (me included) experience sleep regressions with our LOs at every birthday.  What you describe sounds just like my DS every year.  Often developmental leaps at the half year cause a period of disturbed sleep too.  It always passes. I always just go to him and offer comfort. Sometimes he needs lots of extra help, sometimes he doesn't need anything but NWs, makes noises, and goes back to sleep on his own.

Yes, we always have half year and birthday regression. But it usually would pass within 6 weeks. But this time it has been 2 months on and off and we may have reached a peak lately because it is happening every night now. And she doesn’t even cry or whin, just call dad or mum. One of us would come to her room and say a word and she would go back to sleep very soon.

How long does it take for yours? To be honest 2 months is really long enough for me because that means we will have the half ones very soon....And the only thing I can do is to wait?

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 14:20:32 pm »
There are a couple of things you could try which I have done with my DS:
- if NWs are happening after your BT go in before you go to bed and do a W2S, just disturb her a little, it could be simply opening the door and closing it again or it could be a light stroke on the head. This can sometimes help as a new sleep cycle is started and the NW is stopped.
- talk to her when it is not BT and not when the NW happens about what to do when she wakes in the night.  Say what you do when you wake in the night and tell her to do the same "when I wake up at night I turn over, get comfy and go back to sleep.  You can do that too. When you wake up turn over, grab your lovey and give it a snuggle and go to sleep".  I have also done fun demonstrations with my DS where I show him on his bed what I do and then tell him to show me what he will do.  he finds it hilarious but it has worked before.
- talk out of the moment and also before BT.  Reassure that you will always some when you are needed but that you expect her to only shout for you when she really needs you. Remind her that Mummy needs sleep too or Mummy won't have enough energy to play lots of games or go out on nice trips because you'll be too tired. Remind her that children need sleep too so that they have enough energy to play well the next day.
- I never planned this one but it did seem to work. Daddy told DS to stop waking Mummy up all night because Mummy is exhausted. Meanwhile I was telling DS I would always come when he needed me.  It sounds confusing to me but it appeared to make DS think twice about calling out for me and to just think about what he needs or if he needs me or can he just go back to sleep or go to the toilet on his own without calling for me etc.
- as your DD is responding quickly with a single word you can do this from out side the room for reassurance instead of going in.
- remind her that you are always in the house and always keeping her safe even when you are not in the room with her so she can be sure she is safe when she wakes and you are in a different room.

3 yos understand quite a lot - it might not stop her NW completely but they are all relatively easy things to try out to see what effect they have.

Offline sszskristy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 10:19:06 am »
There are a couple of things you could try which I have done with my DS:
- if NWs are happening after your BT go in before you go to bed and do a W2S, just disturb her a little, it could be simply opening the door and closing it again or it could be a light stroke on the head. This can sometimes help as a new sleep cycle is started and the NW is stopped.
- talk to her when it is not BT and not when the NW happens about what to do when she wakes in the night.  Say what you do when you wake in the night and tell her to do the same "when I wake up at night I turn over, get comfy and go back to sleep.  You can do that too. When you wake up turn over, grab your lovey and give it a snuggle and go to sleep".  I have also done fun demonstrations with my DS where I show him on his bed what I do and then tell him to show me what he will do.  he finds it hilarious but it has worked before.
- talk out of the moment and also before BT.  Reassure that you will always some when you are needed but that you expect her to only shout for you when she really needs you. Remind her that Mummy needs sleep too or Mummy won't have enough energy to play lots of games or go out on nice trips because you'll be too tired. Remind her that children need sleep too so that they have enough energy to play well the next day.
- I never planned this one but it did seem to work. Daddy told DS to stop waking Mummy up all night because Mummy is exhausted. Meanwhile I was telling DS I would always come when he needed me.  It sounds confusing to me but it appeared to make DS think twice about calling out for me and to just think about what he needs or if he needs me or can he just go back to sleep or go to the toilet on his own without calling for me etc.
- as your DD is responding quickly with a single word you can do this from out side the room for reassurance instead of going in.
- remind her that you are always in the house and always keeping her safe even when you are not in the room with her so she can be sure she is safe when she wakes and you are in a different room.

3 yos understand quite a lot - it might not stop her NW completely but they are all relatively easy things to try out to see what effect they have.

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the break cycle thing several times, but it only worked 2-3 times and you didn’t even know if it was just a coincidence. I will try it again tonight :)

And actually I’ve been doing and saying just like what you did. But after a sincere explaination and talk, she just said, nope,mummy I just want to call daddy yeah hahaha......

I think she is going through a special stage. Except the sleeping issue, she suddenly start to cry when I drop her off at the nursery. She has been there for more than a year and she loves it. When I pick her up she is always very happy and plays with her friends. When I asked her why she cried she just said I just want to cry in a proud tone....And also recently she starts to scare lost of things. She always say she is scare of this or that.

So I think sleeping is not the only change we have recently. But NW is always the worst one for me 😓

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 12:27:36 pm »
Well, at least you know it;'s a developmental phase and will eventually pass.  Tiring at the time though.