Author Topic: 22 month old - taking hours to get to sleep  (Read 1178 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
22 month old - taking hours to get to sleep
« on: February 11, 2018, 20:38:28 pm »
My 22 mo DS has the current EASY:

WU: 6 am
E: 7 am (and morning snack 9/10am)
E 11.30 am
S: 12/12.30 pm
WU 2.30 pm
E: 3 pm
E: 5.30 pm
BT: 6.30/7 pm

He transitioned from a cot to bed about three weeks ago and although gets out a little bit initially, in the past week or so he has been taking 2 hours to get to sleep at night.  We leave him in there so long as he isn't upset, also have tried comforting him and reassuring etc.  He isn't distressed most of the time.

Any ideas on how to help this?  Is he UT?  I suggested to my husband (SAHD) to cap his nap to 2 hours but should we try a shorter nap?  He is still definitely tired around lunchtime.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 22 month old - taking hours to get to sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:24:02 am »
Hi there
This is prime time for a developmental leap, a language leap comes at around 21 months (so perhaps your LO does these things just a little later as they are all different?) which can totally throw off sleep. I remember having a thread myself at that age wondering what had suddenly gone wrong with my DS's sleep.  In your case it could be a combination of transitioning to the BBB as well or that could be just coincidence.
Usually the development just passes and sleep goes back to normal after a couple of weeks.  Many people ride it out.  When mine was taking so long to go to sleep at night I chose to shift BT later so that we basically cut out a lot of the fussing and call backs.
Your LO has a good long nap and also a good length night, there is a chance he is UT too but it may not be long term, it might be just during this leap and you might find in another week or two the routine has returned and your LO is suddenly saying a lot more words than before.

Hope that helps