Author Topic: Reverse cycling  (Read 2455 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Reverse cycling
« on: January 27, 2018, 10:20:31 am »
We’ve had guests for the last 3 days and very, very busy days. Basically out from morning till evening and dd has pretty much stopped feeding during the day and shifted feeds to night. She is so distracted and curious I just couldn’t get her to feed out, so she’d have 2 feeds a day and then feed all night. Now the guests are gone and I’m stuck with the same. How do I fix it?
Yesterday she fed at 11, half a feed at 2 then only at 7 when we got home would she even latch on. Last night she fed a lot, last feed was at 5am and I tried to reduce it as much as possible. This morning she was up at 8, nothing, I tried at 9 and 10 still nothing. Now at nap time I got her to have about half a feed.
Gotten myself into quite a pickle, haven’t I?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Reverse cycling
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 00:08:54 am »
Is it getting any better? These things can take a few days to balance out again.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 06:56:13 am »
A bit better but i cant get her to take milk for hours in the Morning. Shell eat before nap1 at 11, a bit after the nap while sleepy, again at around 3 before her nap, a bit after her nap and last bf at BT. At night she’ll feed every 3h till about 4am and then nothing till 11. I’m not feeding to sleep.
How do I shift this long period without feeding to night time? I’ve started skipping her breakfast solids because I’m trying to get milk into her all morning.
She won’t take a bottle with milk but she’ll drink tea or water with meals.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 21:17:27 pm »
Have you tried resettling without a feed at night?

Offline eva026

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 06:35:48 am »
Not the first two but I do the “dummy game” for the last one. Dummy in, spit out, dummy in, spit out. Can only get another 15min that way before she gets hysterical. Maybe I should not be skipping breakfast but give her cereal so get some calories in at that time?

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:03:06 am »
Last night BT was 7.30 full feed, she woke at 9 and usually is resettle because it hadn’t been 3h but seeing as I was headed for bed and would have attempted a df anyway I fed her full feed, then roughly every 3-3.5h I fed. Tried to extend the second one but she got hysterical, the last one I just fed.
She’s taking a tiny bf in the mornings now but about 4-5h after last NF. So definitely has shifted longest period without milk to the day.

I’m experimenting with a bottle too, she flat out refuses milk but will drink tea or water at meals. Will try giving her milk at meals instead maybe.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:05:38 am by eva026 »

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 09:05:44 am »
I got her to drink 60ml milk from a bottle over the whole day with meals.
BT was 8 bf, then she woke at 10pm and I fed because I was going to bed and would have done a df anywAy.
At 12 nw but I replugged her, 1am, when I would have normally red I used the dummy, rocking and cuddles and she slept till 2am - fed, then she woke at 4 am - her usual NF time but I replugged and she only fed at 5am. Up for the day at 8am but still not hungry, it’s 10am.
Do you think this is the right way to go to shift the long period without feeding in the morning?

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 22:38:03 pm »
 If she's resettling easily then i think it's fine.  If she's cueing for a feed then I'd give her one.  Night feeds are so important for your long-term supply

Offline eva026

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 07:30:11 am »
What would you do about breakfast on the days she won’t bf in the morning? I’ve been skipping it because I’d like her to have milk before food, but then we end up having lunch and dinner. Dinner unsettles her sleep.
Also she only bf 5-6min. I’ve always thought she was just an efficient feeder but I’m starting to wonder now. I can’t get her to take more though, she starts biting. She’s also really little, dr said somewhere between the 3-10th centipede. Maybe that’s why she still needs 3bf a night? Nearly 7 months old already.

Offline eva026

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:30:58 am »
Centipede lol. Autocorrect, was supposed to be centile

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 21:12:15 pm »
Can you offer solids immediately after the first bf she will take in the morning?

If not it isn't a problem to just have 2 solids meals at this age. In the UK the NHS recommends adding a third meal between 8-9mo.

Offline eva026

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 09:59:43 am »
Shes fixed, phew. Took a month!
She really doesn’t swallow very much, I just put her in her chair when we eat and give her a few bits of food. 90 percent lands up mooshed into her face or on the floor.

Just one final question, not related to the previous problem though.
We have been working on trying to get me a bit more sleep. I’ve noticed she’s disturbed when I go to bed at 10pm so I’ve been going to sleep on the sofa. DH has been doing a df or normal NF (depends what comes first) with expressed bm. Then I do the next feed around 4am.
I have a freezer stash but she refuses the defrosted milk. I’ve tried scalding a batch and frozen it, will see if that makes a difference. Unfortunately some days I just can’t pump at all or not enough for a night bottle. Do you think it’s ok if I give formula? She’s 7 months old, my supply is more than enough and she gets 4-5 day feeds and I’d be doing at least one, if not two NF anyway? I’m a bit torn up about it. DD1 never got formula but she drank the freezer milk, I had enough to keep giving her 3 months after I stopped bf! This lo won’t even have the freezer stuff in oatmeal! Really bummed, have about 30 bags of 150ml in the freezer that will go down the drain now.

Offline *Ali*

• Caught in the act!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 22:07:35 pm »
It's a very personal choice to use formula or not. One which only you can make. I would just urge you to do some thorough research on the risks of formula on the gut flora and what is actually in it. That way you can make an informed choice.

It's also worth bearing in mind that night feeds are important to your supply so if you are giving a bottle and therefore not feeding from bedtime to 4am this will send a negative message to your body that you don't need to make milk for that time. What is the problem with disturbing her when you go to bed? Does she not just feed and go back to sleep? Could you perhaps just go up 10 minutes earlier and give her a DF before you settle to sleep yourself? That would take the pressure off you to pump enough for a bottle.

Have you tried using a silicone pump like the Haaka or Naturebond? You can just pop it on the other breast whilst you feed at any or all feeds and   it collects the letdown. I can get a good half a bottle each time I do this with no effort at all and there is no need to find a time to pump.

Hang in there. Your baby is still very young and the night feeds won't go on forever