Author Topic: Now almost 7 Mos and night waking! Help!  (Read 10123 times)

Offline ac333

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
Now almost 7 Mos and night waking! Help!
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:55:59 am »
Hi everyone,
Just when we thought we figured it out....
 so about 3 months ago we were able to get everything consistent for her naps and sleeps.  When she turned 5 months everything started changing. Her night sleep started getting affected and she always slept well through the night. Now sometimes she wakes two to three times in the night and she needs at least one night feed
we started her on solids too early at about 5 months because she was really gassy and that made her night sleep even worse. So we scaled it back.  Now she's better with solids. But we only give her solids for breakfast and lunch.
I'm a little bit lost as to what to do now.
In the past week she would wake up between 10 and 11 p.m. before we give her the dream feed.
She was ebf. Until we started solids.
Easy schedule is as follows
730. Bf
9am Solids
9:45  1.5 Oz topup ebm
10:15 nap
12pm bf
1:30 solids
2:15 1.5 Oz top up ebm
2:45 nap
4:30 bf
5:45 & 6:45 bf
7:30 sleep
11:15 df 5oz ebm

Her naps r generally great
Her night sleeps hav been terrible for the past 2 Mos almost.

Any suggestions on how to help w NW's?  I feel like I'm always feeding her and praying that the top ups will stop soon and she can last thru the night as well
Does this mean she is ready for more solids?

Any advice will help. Thx

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: Now almost 7 Mos and night waking! Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 07:12:04 am »
Hi there sorry you’ve had no replies how are things now?

Zoe

Offline ac333

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:27:29 am »
Thx so much for replying. Ups and downs. She still waking atleast 2x in the night. If she has 2 good naps, but still wakes in the night, can it still mean she UT?  She is at around 1.45 per nap. I've adjusted it to 1.40 with no help.
Lately she hasn't been able to sleep past 10pm.
Don't know where to start.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 19:18:47 pm »
Lately she hasn't been able to sleep past 10pm.
Sorry, can you clarify what you mean by this please?  She is waking at 10pm and doesn't go back to sleep all night??

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 23:31:06 pm »
She is at around 1.45 per nap. I've adjusted it to 1.40 with no help.
Are you waking her from all her naps?

When is she waking at night? The EAS you posted suggests her nights are pretty good, so unless you tell us when the NWs are, its pretty hard to tell what might be causing them and how to help.

ately she hasn't been able to sleep past 10pm.
Are you meaning she's waking at or before 10pm rather than staying asleep til you do the dream feed?

What's the reason for the EBM topups and the many cluster feeds before bed? Has she been slow to gain weight? Refluxy? You could certainly try offering EBM as a drink with her solids meals rather than doing topups so you're not offering food and drink so frequently if that's an issue for you.

Offline ac333

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:13 am »
Hi.
When she wakes around 10, I'll feed her. Often times she'll sleep again. Sometimes it will take an hour or so to settle her.

Yes she wakes before i plan to df. But I'll feed her anyway. She usually wakes anytime from 10 to 10:30. That's why I thought I should still cluster feed. Good idea w giving milk w meals!

Her weight is great   gaining well.

Yes, I'm waking her from her naps. Her naps for the most part is good.  For nights it's all over the place. On a good night she'll wake around 10 and once more in the middle of the night for a feed. On a bad night it's every hour. 
The past few nights she has woken twice for 2 nights and one night she woke 5 times.  So it's all over the place.
Maybe it's her sensitivity to food .  I noticed if I giver her a full meal for dinner, she will wake more so I've scaled back the dinner.
But she seems to take enuf calories throughout the day so I'm shocked she still wakes for a feed...high metabolism I guess?

Offline becj86

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:12 am »
I think you need to consider letting her sleep for at least one nap. Capping both naps is a recipe for OT. Think how you feel all day if someone wakes you before you're ready to wake... do you feel rested? I bet your DD probably doesn't either!

Certainly she's young wnough to not NEED dinner, reasonable to dial that back if she's waking with tummy discomfort attributable to solids.

Quite normal to take a feed or 2 at night at this age. Not all babies need it but plenty do.

When she is waking at night (5x, not 2x because 2 is reasonable for feeds), is she waking more in the early evening or middle of the night or early hours of the morning? How does she behave when she wakes?

Offline ac333

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 05:30:53 am »
Do you mean let her sleep past her 1.5-1.75 hr nap?  I figured that may cut into her night sleep. 
The only set time she wakes is around 10ish usually just before df. Other times are sporadic. She cries when she wakes. And it's quite a sudden loud cry which prob is discomfort.

Offline becj86

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 06:10:25 am »
Do you mean let her sleep past her 1.5-1.75 hr nap?  I figured that may cut into her night sleep.
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. You can cap the other nap at 45min if she naps 2hr if you want to, but ideally, you let her sleep for one nap at least to 2hr and wake her then or (more gently) when she rouses around 2:15 into the nap.

I think if you were to do that, her night sleep may actually improve as I suspect it may be OT related.

Offline ac333

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 16:59:48 pm »
Thx for the suggestion. I did as u suggested 2 days ago, so the afternoon nap I woke her @ 2 hrs.  That night she woke 5 times. She also cried at put down.
Maybe bc she's ut?  Maybe I'll bring the 1st nap to an hour only and then give her 2.15 in aft nap.
Sometimes I wonder if it's.  Will keep u posted

Offline becj86

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 22:23:27 pm »
Look forward to your update :)

Offline ac333

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 17:16:45 pm »
Last night was a flop. I think dd was so tired. And she slept on the go as we had errands to run
W7:15
E 730
S 1030
W 11
E 12
S 220
W 345
E 415
S 7
W 915 (I fed)
S 940
W 1015
W 11:45 (fed)
W 4 (fed)
W 6 & 7
Not sure what to do right now. I might just go back to the 1h40min of sleep each nap.

Offline becj86

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:33:39 am »
She really didn't have a great day there and was OT, hence those wakings.

I wonder can you let her sleep for the first nap of the day, then wake her from the second nap depending upon the length of the first nap? Is that feasible in your day? That just gives you the best chance of her getting the best naps.

You can certainly go back to what you were doing - just not sure how that's going to fix the problem you posted about.

Offline ac333

• Showing Appreciation 0
    • soulspiration
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 17:44:39 pm »
funny enuf that's what we did yest!  By accident bc I was so tired I we both slept in!
So her naps were 10:20-12:20 approx and 3-4:30.
Her night put down 7:15
I woke her for df @ 1040 which is good.  She woke @ 3 :30 for a feed. But then woke at 5:45, 6:15 & 7 afterwards.
Extending her a.m nap is a bit tuff for my work schedule so I was hoping to extend her pm nap.
I hope it works but I remember now that she had 2 hour naps before and it didn't seem to help. so I hope that it works now.
Soooo tired.
Should I even do the df at this point?  I was hoping to wait until she's eating a full 3 meals of solids before stopping

Offline becj86

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 23:11:12 pm »
She woke @ 3 :30 for a feed. But then woke at 5:45, 6:15 & 7 afterwards.
So, this can be gas from gulping in air whilst feeding at the height of your supply (highest in the early hours of the morning). That's somewhat easier to fix than OT, as you can be sure to burp her well before she goes back to bed and you can try lying back to feed so the flow isn't quite so much to cope with.

That's a much better night.

Should I even do the df at this point?  I was hoping to wait until she's eating a full 3 meals of solids before stopping
If its working for you, by all means, continue. If you're tired because you're staying up just to do the DF and you'd be better off going to bed at 9, do that.