Author Topic: 19 month old no longer independent sleeper  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Floweryspring

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
19 month old no longer independent sleeper
« on: January 29, 2018, 05:09:41 am »
Hello everyone! After months of really good sleep, we are stuck in a horrible sleep mess. My 19 month  old has always been a good sleeper. Just needed a slight push here or there in the right direction but for nearly 2 months now, she refuses to sleep independently. In early December, she started showing all the signs of 18 month sleep regression. One day she just refused to go down on her own. And so we patted her to sleep. Calmed her etc. Then she fell ill then she had canines. And now we are stuck!

At one point we even went back to night feeding to soothe the gums and my DH co slept part of the night. We have gotten rid of all that without Any issues but she still screams blue murder if we try to leave after putting her down in her cot.

She also cries when she wakes. Previously she would play happily in her cot. Sometimes for up to an hour after waking!!!

I have tried to give her alone time in cot during the day with a couple of her toys and she is happy in there. When we pick her up after nap, she stops crying immediately and is happy, smiling.

She is generally a happy child. We are thinking of doing walk in/walk out but to be honest, I am quite scared. I have never let her cry longer than a minute and she never really needed training before. Was always able to self soothe from birth. And a few times just went to cry after crying for abit during a phase at 9/10 months.

She dropped to 1 nap at 15 months and it was a painless transition compared to my older child. After a few days, she napped 2.5-3 hoursand did 11-12 hours overnight.

I keep trying to figure out if she is overtired, undertired or just us wants us to go in a pat her. Would really appreciate an outside point of view.

Before sleep regression at 17.5 mo this

Wake 7-7.30am
Nap   12pm - usually woke 2.30-2.45pm
Bed.  7.30-7.45pm
All independent sleeping. If she woke earlier (rarely) from nap or morning, we left her until 7am and 2.30pm

NOW in the last few days

Friday
7am    wake
12.20.  Nap only 1hr 25min. Had to pat for 10 mins and hum
7.05pm asleep DH pat and hum. Sleep cry 57min.
Wake crying 11pm -  pat on bum 1min
Wake crying hysterically! 12.05am -pat on hum 1min
Wake 5am 1min pat bum.
Wake for day 7am. Was a good night as she settled quickly for all wakings.

Saturday
7am.       wake
12.10pm nap 1hr 50min. She hasn't napped his Long since 17th Jan.
7.30pm   Asleep.

10.55pm cried - dirty nappy. Changed nappy put down.
12.15am cry - quick resettle with patting
5am -10mins to resettle wake 7am

Sunday
7am     wake
12.30   Nap 1hr 35min pat bum
7.25pm asleep pat bum
11pm resettled pat bum
12.20am took till 1.10am to resettle!! Finally we gave up and I fed her and she went back to sleep immediately. Up 5.40am and would not go back to sleep. Gave up at 6.30am and took he out.

Today
5.40am   wake
11.30am  nap. Woke 58mins patted her back to sleep and she woke at  1hr 15mins. I tried leaving her but she after force crying for 2 mins, she really started crying so I got her out.
Prob bed at 6.30! And prob will have a crappy night will Long night wakes.

She seems to be waking at 11pm, 12.15am and 5/5.30am evreyday. What is this??? I am kinda lost here! she has only her 2 year molars  left to go. Should we do walk in walk out? Or gradual withdrawal?

Any help will be very appreciated.

PS : is the sticky for how your day looks like for toddlers not working? Trying to get an idea of what other kids are doing at this age routine wise.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: 19 month old no longer independent sleeper
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 06:22:44 am »
Hi there hugs it’s hard sometimes to figure out what’s going on isn’t it.

Do you Mediciate at any of night wakings? Just wondering if teeth moving about? The hysterical crying could be pain or she could be having a bout of separation anxiety as that can peak around this age too.

Otherwise I’d try using gradual withdrawal for now if she gotten to screaming when you leave the walk in walk out might prove upsetting for you both.
Zoe

Offline Floweryspring

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:44:26 am »
Thanks for the reply. No I am not medicating. I have tried but it didn't seem to make any difference!

With gradual withdrawal,how Long is too Long if she cries??? Well she IS going to cry. No if about it lol but what if she keeps going on??

« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:54:46 am by Floweryspring »

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:54:07 pm »
You just sit next to her cot and use voice to reassure, if gets really worked up then quick back rub or cuddle and back to sitting down and repeat repeat! Can take a while I’m afraid   ;)
Zoe