Author Topic: when to drop 4-5am feed  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 01, 2018, 15:42:43 pm »
HI,

When is it sensible to try dropping this feed? My lo is 10.5 months and wakes every night at anywhere between 3.30-5am for a BF.
When it is closer to 3.30am I don't even mind but wneh it's closer to 5am either myself or both of us don't go back to sleep and it's a total killer.
I intend to stop BF in 2 weeks.
Can someone help with some advice please?

Thank you

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: when to drop 4-5am feed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 22:32:53 pm »
It's normal for babies this age to have night feed so I'd just follow your baby's lead for now. When you wean you can swap this for water as anything other than breastmilk at night will damage his teeth.

Breastmilk or formula should be your baby's main source of nutrition until at least 12mo so if you choose to stop breastfeeding at 11mo you would ideally need to give formula until he turns 1yo. If you wean after 12mo you could just switch to solids and skip introducing the formula and then having to wean it shortly after, especially if you plan on using bottles.

Please let is know if you would like help with weaning, whenever you chose to do it 🙂 Just remember to do it slowly so your body has time to adjust and you avoid blocked ducts and possible mastitis.

Good luck
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011