Author Topic: Baby won't sleep in crib AT NIGHT...what am I doing wrong?  (Read 1742 times)

Offline mrsgbailey

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
Baby won't sleep in crib AT NIGHT...what am I doing wrong?
« on: February 05, 2018, 04:10:24 am »
Hey everyone, I have a 7 week old baby boy who based on the book's description is an Angel/Textbook baby. I'm a first time mom so every help counts and I just basically want to know if I'm on the right track.

1. He sleeps/naps in his crib/pack n play during the day but does not want to sleep in his crib at night. This only started happening about a week ago (at the end of the six week mark) and by night my husband and I are so tired we try to put him down but eventually bring him into bed with us. (We know the dangers of co-sleeping, no worries) What should we be doing to get him back into his room, in his crib? And I was looking at the Wonder Weeks app and it says he may be making another leap this week which is why he needs more physical contact? If we keep him in our room for this week, do you think it would be difficult getting him back in his crib?

2. Also, we follow a flexible schedule with him but haven't been able to stretch out night feedings. I figured, we'd give him until he's 3 months before we start any of that, since he's so small. Do you think that's a wise idea? He's about 13lbs!!

3. And last question, if I wanted to start supplementing a feed with breastmilk in a bottle, would it be better to do in the day or night? I don't have to go back to work fully but I do need to have at least 2-3hrs to focus on getting some projects done. He currently only naps for about 1-1.5hrs per nap. Doesn't go any longer.

Anything else you wanna share, i'm completely open! Thanks so much for having this page to help us all!!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Baby won't sleep in crib AT NIGHT...what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 19:50:11 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

Is LO's crib in a separate room from yours? Is there any chance of setting up a separate crib for him in your room so that he knows you are near and can hear your breathing and comforting voice but doesn't need to be in bed with you?
Or could you set up a mattress in his room so that you can keep him in his crib and comfort him more closely but also get a little sleep yourself?

Personally I would never co-sleep. I do remember clearly just how exhausting the very early days were but the SIDS guidance scared the pants off me so I just stuck it out at night until my DS slept in his bed which I think helped a great deal with his general learning to self sooth. I held him for a long time some nights but he always went back into his bed. I set up his bed right by mine so I could keep a hand on him in the night if needed for comfort.

Could his night crib be a bit cold when he first goes in perhaps?  Or smell different to where he sleeps in the day?  Could you perhaps "wear" a crib sheet (up your top) for a day to get fill it with Mummy scent so that he feels a little extra comfort in his crib?

I see you have another thread on the breast feeding board for the feeding questions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 19:53:36 pm by creations »

Offline mrsgbailey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:48:00 am »
Thanks for the response creations. Really good points and I'll look into them. I think partially he just ends up in bed too because my husband who's on the "night shift" just doesn't stick it out and brings him in. So Either I just have to get up and do it myself :-\

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 20:10:21 pm »
I just have to get up and do it myself
That is an option but perhaps not if it might build resentment towards DH... it's a balancing act to met everyone's needs and work out what's best isn't it?

Offline mrsgbailey

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 00:43:35 am »
Oh my word it is a balancing act! And that's why I love Tracy for including the Y.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 09:51:39 am »
Yeah the Y time is wonderful when you can get it, and in those early weeks it feels like there just isn't any and that it may never happen.
I'm a huge believer in the BW approach to sleep training though so of course I think it is all worth it.