Author Topic: 6 month old weaning issues  (Read 5071 times)

Offline sammy3115

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
Hi ladies

This is my third baby, and I really thought I would be a pro - clearly I was wrong, this is hard!

I used baby led weaning with my second and it worked a treat, So I am trying it this time, He hates sitting the high chair ( I have tried different places, entertainment etc) so I have literally 15 mins before he starts screaming.

I have been weaning since 5 months, He tends to play around with food and not get much in, In the morning he will have 1/3 of a weetabix, and dinner he will have  veg, fruit, and some carbs, im really not sure how much he is getting in, and he is not keen on the spoon either, most of the time hes not interested, maybe im not timing it right?

When would you recommend I start Lunch? 

I am keen to drop the DF, he has 44oz of milk a day, when guidelines say it should be around 20oz mark, when do I know which bottle to drop and when?

8am - 9oz bottle

10am Weetabix

12pm 9oz bottle

3:30 - 9oz bottle

6pm Dinner

8pm - 9oz bottle

11pm DF - 7oz

We go away in 6 weeks and I would really like his feeding routine in a good place.

Sorry for all the questions! Any advice much appreciated xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 6 month old weaning issues
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 13:48:56 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW forums :)

Although this is your third LO they are all different and whilst one might not take a lot of milk another could be a milk lover.
Your LO is still really tiny, guidance is to start solids at just a couple of teaspoons at 6 months so really for your LO to be eating a third of a weetabix this is a huge amount in baby terms.  His dinner sounds big too even if you aren't really sure how much he is digesting he is trying a variety of veg fruit and carbs.  It looks to me like the only thing can could really be altered is your expectations of what he 'should' be having.  Don't forget his primary food until 12 months is milk and the weaning process is not aiming to drop milk feeds but rather to introduce different tastes and textures and allow LO to make a gradual transition to larger solids meals and eventually a reduction in milk.  That reduction in milk is not expected to happen for quite some time yet though.

The DF is usually the first milk feed to be dropped but not until solids are well established and LO could be closer to say 8 months rather than 6 months.
when guidelines say it should be around 20oz mark
These guides are to ensure milk is not reduced too much or too rapidly. If your LO needs milk then he needs milk.  Some take a lot more than 'average' milk and some a lot less, LO can usually guide you on the milk intake and at this age he should be taking as much as he needs without being limited.
You can make sure he gets a drink of water with/after solids meals so that he is not thirsty which could possibly lead to greater milk intake but otherwise I wouldn't worry about him having the milk.

When would you recommend I start Lunch? 
The general guidance is that a third meal is introduced at around 8 months old.  of course some LOs love solids so much they will cry out for food if they see any and a third meal might be introduced earlier than this, with baby leading the way.  For others who are not so interested in solids they might not take much at all until say 9 months when their interest picks up but even then it might not be what you'd call a full 'meal'.

he is not keen on the spoon either,
I wouldn't worry about this.  Lots of LOs don't like to be spoon fed, they want to self feed. Mine was never spoon fed but I did introduce a small fork quite early on, I would preload it and hold it up for easy grabbing and he would get it to his mouth.  Otherwise fingers are fine, there's plenty of time to learn how to use cutlery.

I have literally 15 mins before he starts screaming.
Again I wouldn't worry about this. 15 mins sounds like a reasonable time to sit for food.  LOs only really have the patience to sit longer if they want to eat more but will still fuss to get down when they are finished.  i'd just offer a couple of bits of food and let him have his 15 mins then meal time is over. There really is no hurry to increase solids.

Hope that's helped to put your mind at ease - lots of us worry about food issues at one point or another so you're not alone there! :)

Offline sammy3115

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 21:48:11 pm »
Thank you 😘

Offline sammy3115

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:11:48 pm »
I have made progress and baby is taking breakfast quite well as well as dinner... as he is getting close to the 8 month mark I would like to introduce lunch.

I’m confused about how to do it, so it doesn’t interfere with his naps and milk feeds, am I meant to drop a bottle? Confused...

Here is his routine

8am 2/3 of a weetabix
9:30 5oz of milk ( he is quite full at this stage)
11am naps until 12:30
12:30 8-9oz bottle
3:30 - 8-9oz bottle
3:45-5pm Nap
5:45pm Dinner
7:30 bed and 8-9oz bottle

He no longer has a DF

Any ideas welcome xx

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 18:49:30 pm »
am I meant to drop a bottle?
No not yet. You don't want to drop any milk feeds until more like 10-12 months and usually LO is the one who leads the way by refusing or not taking much in one or more milk feeds.

Your routine for milk and solids is pretty much standard so I would just put the lunch in at 1.30pm. Looks like this is 1 hr after milk and doesn't interfere with any nap.

Offline sammy3115

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 19:40:56 pm »
Your right, I think I have overthought it... but 1:30pm makes sense inbetween two bottle feeds.  Feel like I’m constantly bottle feeding or giving solids lol.

Thank you

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 18:51:33 pm »
but 1:30pm makes sense inbetween two bottle feeds.
Yes although rather than being timed "between" milk feeds it's timed one hour after the previous milk...so if that milk feed should move for some reason you can also move the lunch if you like/need.

Feel like I’m constantly bottle feeding or giving solids lol.
I remember that well!  I briefly thought I must be over feeding as we seemed to do nothing else all day but milk, solids and naps!
It will gradually settle so that it doesn't feel quite like that.