Author Topic: 10mo night wakings  (Read 1666 times)

Offline PhiliH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
« on: February 09, 2018, 07:57:40 am »
Hi everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone can relate to this and if anyone has any tips!

My little boy is 10 months next week and has been night waking for the last couple of months. Firstly it was just once or twice a night and it slowly started improving a couple of weeks in but we went on holiday to Bali (from the UK) last month to see family and it got worse (probably jet lag and time difference). We’ve now been back two weeks and he’s still waking a few times a night. We had a couple of nights where it was just once or twice but on the whole it’s a few times. He went to bed at 7pm last night and woke at 1am, 3.30am, 5.30am and we got up at 6.45am. Sometimes he’ll wake around 10 or 12pm too. When it first started happening, he’d just take his dummy and go straight back to sleep but more recently, he often needs a little help (back stroke) as well as the dummy. When he was night waking on holiday, we were putting him in bed with us at 3am but we’d never done this previously and haven’t done it since returning to the UK. So, I guess we haven’t helped ourselves taking him to Bali and adding in some accidental parenting! He used to be such a good sleeper so I’m looking for any tips to try and reduce the night wakings. He’s also terrible at napping and will frequently only have 30 minutes, two times a day. He’ll go down no problem in his cot and he’ll go straight off for a nap but just doesn’t stay asleep long. If we were in the car, he’d have at least an hour. The below is an example of our routine for the last few days:

7.00: Wakes
7.10: 7oz bottle
8.15: Breakfast
9.15/30: Nap
10.00: Wakes
10.30: Snack
12.15: Lunch
13.45: Nap
2.15/30: Wakes
2.30: 3oz bottle
4.30: Tea
6.10: Half his 7oz bedtime bottle
6.20: Bath
6.40: Stories and the other half of his bedtime bottle
7.00: Bed

(Then recently we’ve had 3-5 night wakings). I tried feeding in the night last week but was loathed to because he hasn’t fed in the night since he was 3 or 4 months old, plus he then wouldn’t drink all his morning bottle so I didn’t continue as I don’t think he’s waking from hunger. I combined breastfed and bottle fed until he was 8 months and now he’s purely bottle fed plus solids. He eats well. He has just started crawling this week.

He’ll usually send himself to sleep at bedtime no problem but last night he was unsettled and it took about 20-30 minutes for him to go off and we kept popping in to see him.

Any advice would be much appreciated. He is teething at the moment so I’m sure that’s not helping but I’m struggling when I can’t seem to see much improvement!

Many thanks in advance,
Philippa

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 10mo night wakings
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 17:59:53 pm »
Hi - have you tried a catnap in the afternoon? You have short first A times but then a really long one. Or you could push that 1st A time out and push the naps back. You will be looking to cap one of them soon anyway as he wants to go to one nap at around 12 months?

Offline PhiliH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I'll donate to BabyWhispererForums
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 20:25:32 pm »
Hi, thanks very much for your reply. I’ve not tried a later catnap - he dropped that around 7 months as he started to become resistant to it but I could try it again. Or, as you say, I might just try a later morning nap of around 10am to begin with for a few days and see what happens! Thanks again  :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 15:19:37 pm »
Yes true - he is too old for a 3rd nap! I would definaltey push the 1st A time out for the moment and start cutting one of them back if needs be x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 15:21:00 pm »