Author Topic: EASY adjustment for almost 7mo?  (Read 4589 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
EASY adjustment for almost 7mo?
« on: February 09, 2018, 14:13:48 pm »
Hiya,

Could someone pls take a look at our EASY? Dd is turning 7mo on the 10th and her nights have started shortening.

WU 7.30
E milk bf 8.00
E solids 9.00
S 10.30 - top up bf
WU 12.00 bf
E solids 13.00
S 15.00 - top up bf
WU 16.30 bf
E 18.00 solids
Bed 19.30, bf and asleep some time before 20.00

This shifts depending on what time she wAkes, usually 7.30-8.00 so BT 7.30-8.00pm

Over the last week she’s been moving her mornings earlier by 10-15 minutes a day, I try compensate by adding on the 10-15min to the morning and/or middle A time to keep her BT within the 7.30-8pm window. But she’s still shifting earlier, today she woke 6.45, I held her and got 15min more sleep out of her. This means BT will be far to early. Adding 10-15 min A is already a struggle with her getting very unhappy. 

Today:
WU 7.00
S 10.15 crying wreck
WU 11.40-45
S 14.55 - very unhappy and tired
WU 17.00
BT19.30 but she didn’t fall asleep till 7.50

So, how do I stop her shifting her day? Any ideas about what to change?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 18:56:45 pm by eva026 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: EASY adjustment for almost 7mo?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 09:41:05 am »
Hi.  Your EASY looks generally good.
Does her room have blackout?  I had a problem with even a chink of light getting in which disturbed DS's sleep and caused earlier waking which led to him being too tired for his normal routine. Once his room was fully blacked out again he slept his full night and was more refreshed.

WU 11.40-45
S 14.55 - very unhappy and tired
WU 17.00
BT19.30 but she didn’t fall asleep till 7.50
As she slept longer for nap 2 I think she made up that extra time and BT could have been more like 8pm, 3hr from her nap wake up. Perhaps that's why she delayed a bit at BT and perhaps if she naps longer again on other days you could keep that in mind and aim for the later of your normal BTs so that she has a better chance of waking a bit later in the morning?
She's doing a good length night, it could be that as she gets a bit older she isn't going to do 12hr nights but maybe more like 11.5 or 11hr which would still be well within "normal".
What do you think?

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 16:54:21 pm »
If the night is 11h, would she then make that up in naps? Thought she was supposed to be getting at least 15h sleep for a while still.
Blackout blinds... yeah that’s a problem. She’s in our room and blackout blinds is sth we have been arguing about for years. DH says he can’t get up in the morning and wakes up groggy if it’s dark in the morning, I struggle to sleep if it’s too light. We have blinds but they don’t totally black out. Will try broach the subject with him again. Although, we slept in DD1s room for a few nights and she had blackouts, it made no difference to the mornings.

So you don’t think she needs more A time? I’m torn to be honest, she barely making it to 3h as it is.
Will try to push her BT a bit to 8pm and see how it goes. Nights are not great as is, so I’m really loathe to loose the morning sleep in.

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:23:36 am »
Some just never get to 15hrs sleep in 24 - mine didn't.  It looks like she doesn't really need or want a longer A time but if she keeps waking early I think that extra A time is probably the only option to stretch out the day.  it did look like she made up for it with a longer nap so though perhaps she could adjust to one A being a bit longer?
I know how your DH feels, I hate being in a blackout out room because of feeling groggy in the morning.  Could you suggest a morning lamp on a timer perhaps? So full black out but then have a lamp turn on at WU time so that his body gets a chance of coming around in some light?  It's not the same as natural light of course but could be an option to try.
Or is there an option for DD2 to move to DD1s room where you already have full black out?
Sometimes just one or a few nights in black out doesn't show the difference because the body clock is already set to wake earlier, it's can help over a longer period as the darkness helps the body to adjust and stop waking habitually early.  I just know what a huge difference it made to my DS, he was exhausted through the day from waking too early with the little bit of light coming in and there wasn't really another answer, he didn't nap longer to make up for the lost sleep but instead wanted earlier naps and earlier BT - like he was running on a 23hr day instead of 24hrs so it was always a push everyday to try to make the day a full 24hrs.

Offline eva026

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:42 am »
know how your DH feels, I hate being in a blackout out room because of feeling groggy in the morning.  Could you suggest a morning lamp on a timer perhaps

Honestly it wouldn’t be that much of an issue. He’s just stubborn and refuses to believe that some people need darkness to sleep. He reckons it was me who got DD1 used to sleeping in the dark, not that she needed the dark to stay sleeping. He only gets up at 9 so I open the blinds for him when I get up.

We only have 2 bedrooms, so DD2 is in with us and DD1 is in her own room. We can, and have a few times, put DD1 into the baby cot in our room and DD2 into DD1s bed with a barrier around her. How many days of this do you think she’d need to reset? Need to tell her sister so she doesn’t think she’s moving in with us permanently lol. Putting them in together is the plan, but we need the baby to start sleeping through. For  ow it’s still 3 feeds.

Yesterday we went out so she did this:
WU 7.20
S 10.30 at home
WU 12.15
S 3.30 in pram
WU 4.00
S 5.45 in sling
WU 6.30
Then I moved BT as you suggested and she went down ok at 8.30pm
But up for the day at 7am and I’ve just put her down at 10.30
Staying home today so she can have two normal,long naps.

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:57:28 am »
How many days of this do you think she’d need to reset?
I'm not convinced that you could "set" her body clock in a blacked out room and then move her back into a non-blacked out room and expect the later WU to continue. You can try it of course but I wouldn't be confident, I'd expect her to just wake earlier again with the light and then be tired from lack of sleep.

What about those black out cot canopies?  I'm not sure how common, safe or useful they are - perhaps some investigation into one of those could resolve the problem?

Offline eva026

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:02:14 am »
Thx for the instant answer 😀
Well, if she does wake later after, let’s say 5 days in her sisters room, I’d at least have proof. Maybe that would work to persuade DH. We could really do with one more bedroom!

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 18:37:33 pm »
lol that sounds like a persuasive plan :)

Offline eva026

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 07:00:41 am »
Put the baby in dd1s room. It’s 8am and she has just woken up. Case closed.

Offline creations

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 08:47:18 am »
 ;D

Offline eva026

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
Just one more quick question, I’ve bumped her A to 3.10-15, does that mean I start capping her 2nd nap or do I move BT later? Can’t remember...
She does 1.45s in the morning and that puts her last WU fromnap 2 a bit late for BT at 8pm

Offline creations

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 13:22:16 pm »
It's a bit early to be capping naps but if you feel that one nap can be capped to 2hrs or 1hr 30 and the other left as long as she needs and that this will keep BT at a reasonable time then I'd think go for it.
Other options are to move BT later (sometimes they do not do well with capped naps) but I never went later than 8pm...but my LO never slept late like yours can/will/might.  If she sleeps later in the morning you might not mind later BT.
Whatever you choose just try not to cap every sleep, at some point she needs to be able to sleep until she's finished sleeping.

Offline eva026

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 15:16:23 pm »
Ok so how about this:
Today WU 7.50, s 11 no cap so she slept till 12.45
Next nap I’ve just put her down at 4pm and will wake her at 5.30 but now BT doesn’t fit at 8... I don’t want her going to bed later than 8.15 because her sister needs a bath and bed too. Im on my own with the two many evenings as DH works late. Was thinking to cap her afternoon nap at 5.15, giving us an s of 1.15h and hopefully a BT of 8pm.

Offline creations

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 20:06:30 pm »
Too late for tonight's BT - how did it go?

Offline eva026

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 20:10:24 pm »
Ended up waking her at 1.5h so 5.30pm, tried for bt at 8pm but She wasnt properly asleep till 8.20pm, so that’s too late. Will have to start waking her for the 2nd nap earlier. You think it’s too early? Will she get very OT from it?