Author Topic: Sling addicted 14 week old!  (Read 1356 times)

Offline helbk

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:48:34 am »
Help! I have a 14 week old who will only nap in the sling, and hates the pram/car seat. How do I start sleep training as I've read such varying things about this age?

Some background: For the first 6 weeks of life I BF on demand, and often not to sleep. She would sleep in arms or on her side in a tilted bassinet as she had consistent colds (thanks to her older brother). We also tried to rock her to sleep, sometimes with a dummy, to get her to sleep, which she would cry a lot with but eventually fall asleep, alongside a sling.

We then had a hospital admission as he was having what looked like mini seizures, but after investigation is hypothesised to be related to silent reflux. She is now on Omeprazole and the seizures have stopped. Because of the suggested diagnosis her bedside cot is tilted, and we hold her for 20-30mins after a feed.

Since then it has been easier for her to just nap in the sling, particularly as at first there was such little time between feeds, holding upright, then naps. Not to mention needing to see to our 2.5yo (who attends nursery Tues-Thurs, rest of the time home with me). She still fusses and takes work to get to sleep in sling (bum patting, white noise, dummy), though conks out a bit quicker when I'm out and about. She resists sleeping in the pram, and hates the car seat, which I assume is due to the reflux. I've tilted the bassinet but no luck. I also try watch out for her sleep cues and go by recommended awake times (currently 1-2 hours).

At night we try do a bedtime routine where possible (music, change, baby massage, swaddle and into dark room with white noise) and now BF to sleep as seems to be the only thing that calms her. She generally sleeps well (for now!) waking for about 3 feeds (one of which is a dream feed). She generally wakes around 5pm for the last feed, which can be tiring as not long after I need to get up with the toddler.

So!

Where do I start! The sling naps are exhausting and I know the BF to sleep at night will come round to bite me soon enough. Can I start training with the daytime naps as they have a different sleep association?

What's reasonable to start doing considering her age? I think the 4 month sleep regression is starting as her day naps are shortening and the longer nap generally only if I re-jig her to sleep in the sling.

How do I sleep train with toddler in tow? Start on a Tuesday? Try arrange child care?

I've read a baby swing can help BF babies nap, and not too bad to wean off as gradually slow it down. I've tried bouncing her in the bjorn bouncer but not much luck. I've also bought a couple of Swaddle Ups so she can have her hands by her face which she likes. Any thoughts whether these might help?

I'd be very grateful for any advice and help!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Sling addicted 14 week old!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 19:53:53 pm »
Hi there, I'm sorry you're been waiting a while for a response.  I guess the most important thing here is whether you feel her reflux is fully controlled - is she still in any sort of discomfort?  If so it's very hard to sleep train and often it's a case of riding it out until the reflux improves (along with discussing with your doctor about whether any additional measures would be helpful in terms of medication).  This link might be helpful - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65742.0

If she is now comfortable then I would think this is a great age to start to transition to the cot.  Personally I would aim for that rather than a baby swing or bouncer as you just end up with more props to wean and deal with later down the line (it's also the safest place to sleep from a SIDS perspective) - but obviously it's your call :)  The swaddle is a matter of preference - again personally I would avoid if you are already having to work on breaking props as you may just be creating a new issue, but I know many people do love swaddling and find their babies settle easier with them.  Be aware though that once your LO can roll (likely within next couple of months) you would need to swap swaddling for safety reasons.  You can start with just naps if you prefer - or naps and nights all at once.  Things that will help are having a good consistent wind down for naps - perhaps a short version of what you do at bedtime? - giving her as much opportunity to practice as you are able with the constraints of a toddler, and making sure she has an appropriate routine.

These links may be useful -
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85499.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=26672.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0

Have a look through and let us know what you think :)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Sling addicted 14 week old!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 19:58:56 pm »
Please continue offering support on helbk's other thread here: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=288169.0