Author Topic: weaning onto formula  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 11, 2018, 13:06:37 pm »
Hi all!
 Need advice about weaning my10.5 month old  baby off the breast. We started yesterday and since he is not used to formula nor bottles, needless to say it's not going great. In the last 36hs he maybe had a total of 6 oz formula of which 4oz were last night at 3am when he gave in due to hunger (I tried sippy cups too with same result)
Do you think I should cut down on solids to make him drink more milk or just give him low calorie meals like fruit and veggies to encourage milk intake?

He's only 10.5 months so I think he really should still have at least 3 proper milk feeds in 24hs. xx

Offline Alina.fluturas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 21:49:40 pm »
Updating just to say I have been successful in weaning my son off the breast, it took four days, it was a bit hard and somehow heartbreaking but I am relieved to say he now happily takes 7oz bottles and drains them happily.
Just in case anyone in similar situation reads this post, I didn't do anythin special other than persevering with offering bottles, I didn't try different brands of formula or bottles and on the 4th day he accepted all bottles.
As for solids, I didn't necessariy reduce the amount offered but meals have been mainly veggies and fruit and this more to try sort out his constipation which we've been battling with for a while.
Good luck to anyone embarking on the stressful journey of weaning their baby off the breast, especially if baby hasn't had bottles/formula before.xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 14:18:54 pm »
Sounds like you both did a great job. So stressful at the time. Thanks so Much for sharing your success xx