Author Topic: Selecting which nap to reduce/remove with 2-1 transition  (Read 989 times)

Offline claredm

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Selecting which nap to reduce/remove with 2-1 transition
« on: February 12, 2018, 01:58:40 am »
My LO just turned 1 (but is a premie - so 10 months adjusted).
Her naps have started to go wrong (resists, wakes after 30-45mins) [her night sleep isnt good but its always been bad]
So I think I need to start moving towards 2-1 transition, by making one nap a 45 minute nap.
If I'm honest I think she is probably a morning sleeper (but hard to be sure as I dont let her nap more than 1.5 hrs). The issue is my son (3) naps 1-3pm, so I'd prefer to reduce the morning nap to 45 mins, so we have the chance to at least go out to the park/zoo/library in the morning etc...(I live somewhere that most things dont open until 10am). Is it a bad idea to do this? Should I be letting her set the routine? I posted the schedule I"m moving towards. Is that enough sleep 45 min nap and 1.5 hr nap (if I let the afternoon nap go longer, she wont go down at 6.45pm)?

Her current EASY is
5.30am wake
8.30-10 am NAP ( i always wake at 10am if still sleeping)
1.30-3pm NAP ( I always wake at 3pm if still sleeping)
6.45/7pm Bed

Aiming for
5.30am wake
9am - 9.45 am nap
1.30-3pm nap
6.45pm bed

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Selecting which nap to reduce/remove with 2-1 transition
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 07:59:30 am »
That's probably reasonable. I would caution against capping both naps, as when you get to one nap days, you really don't want her to have been trained to sleep 1.5hr on the dot.

If she's struggling to get to 1:30 off that 45min nap, you can probably put her down at 1pm and wake her at 3 if she's still sleeping.

Certainly 45min + 1.5hr nap is about normal for a child of 9-11 months, so it should be enough for your LO. I can't say that pattern will definitely work for her but give it 2 weeks and be consistent with it and that gives it the best chance at working.