Author Topic: Night waking after 1 hour  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Heatwils

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:03:27 am »
My 5.5 month old wakes 1 hour after being put down for bed. If I nurse him, he'll wake an hour later. I've tried Pu pd for over an hour. He puts himself to sleep for all naps and his initial bedtime. What gives? Here's a schedule of two of our days:

E and A: 6:50 - 8:30
S: 8:30-10:00
A: 10- 12:10
S: 12:10-2:40
A: 2:40 - 4:45
S: 4:45 - 5:15
A: 5:15 - 7:30
Bedtime 7:30 *wake up at 8:30, 9:30, 2:00, 6:00, 8:00

Wake: 8:00
A: 8-10
S 10-11:45
A:11:45 - 2:15
S: 2:15 - 2:45 (his sister work him up!)
A: 2:45 - 4:30
S 4:30 - 5:00
A: 5:00 - 7:30
Bedtime 730 (up at 7:30, 8:30, 9:30, 2:00, 7:00)

We used to have 30 minute nap issues which seem to have resolved but now we have this new issue at the beginning of the night. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I feel like he thinks his bedtime is a nap and wants to be awake as he struggles  back to sleep unless nursed and wakes up when I put him down again. Help!

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »
Last night:
Last nap ended at 4:30
Went to bed at 7:00
Woke at 8, held until 9 crying
Slept 9-2, then woke again at 5:30 and up for day at 8:15

I know longer awake times have been recommended but his naps are good?!? And many sites I've read say an average 5 month old has an awake time of 2 hours. Thoughts?

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 17:10:00 pm »
Sorry for all of the posts:

He was up for 3 hours after initial wake up today and slept for 1 hour and 10 mins. Should he be sleeping longer? Maybe my A time isn't long enough from my two day schedule I posted? But sometimes he's so tired after 1.75 or 2 hours...

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Night waking after 1 hour
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 03:20:16 am »
Maybe my A time isn't long enough from my two day schedule I posted? But sometimes he's so tired after 1.75 or 2 hours...
Yes, I would think his A time should be longer - average is around 2:30-2:45. I wonder if he's treating BT as a nap because he's extending his night with that first early nap.

Is this waking after an hour fairly new?

Also wondering if you've read about the 3-2 transition: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=246541.0

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 11:38:24 am »
He's been waking like this for a few weeks (usually each hour at least 2 times).

I've tried increasing but after 2.25 hours he seems so tired. He wakes after 30 minutes and won't settle and seems angry.

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:46 pm »
Also, I don't fully understand the "extension of first nap". Even after 2 hours this is the case? But he's awake and playing and seeing sunlight. He's usually yawning and rubbing his eyes and almost overtired when I put him down. So I guess I'm confused.

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 12:23:04 pm »
I mean extension of night sleep

Offline becj86

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 08:20:42 am »
Also, I don't fully understand the "extension of first nap". Even after 2 hours this is the case? But he's awake and playing and seeing sunlight.
Yes, its a bit like a long happy waking in the early hours of the morning.

He's probably pretty used to the shorter A time, so he will be habituated to it. You can certainly increase in smaller increments if he's not coping well with bigger increases.

What is he doing when he wakes? Could be OT at the end of the day or OS from people coming home + dinner + bath, etc.

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 12:03:25 pm »
We don't have a good schedule down but typically after his last nap, between 5 and 530, Daddy comes home, we have dinner then we play for a bit or help his sister get ready for bed or go straight to getting him ready for bed - sometimes a bath, always a massage with soft music, pjs, milk, books and songs. Are there any unwinding things I could do after dinner instead? I'm open to suggestions.
When he wakes after an hour he is usually pretty upset and seems to want to be sleeping. Two nights ago he was up every hour until 2am. his sleeping seems to have totally regressed; he used to put himself to sleep with no issues.

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 12:04:43 pm »
I've tried skipping the last nap and that usually results in super OT and takes a long time to settle.

Offline becj86

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 21:03:59 pm »
always a massage with soft music, pjs, milk, books and songs.
Is there anything in this that gets him excited? If so, I'd drop it.

What do his days look like now?

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 02:17:55 am »
He's pretty happy and excited all the time, but overly excited, not really.

Do you mean when he's awake?
He's usually playing with a toy on his back, while sitting or on tummy time.
I have a 3 year old as well so very often he's hanging out with us as we play with her. We usually get out for a walk. He plays in his jolly jumper and exersaucer at various times -- his activities get changed quite frequently (as we are always chasing a 3 year old)! His favourite thing is when people talk to him as this gets him super excited and happy.

During morning  wake up, it's usually pretty low key as it's just the two of us. We do a massage and tummy time and play with a couple of toys and books. Chaos takes over when the toddler wakes up! So each awake time varies but there's always something going on. At mealtimes, he's always sitting with us usually chewing on something.

Offline becj86

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 08:26:06 am »
Sorry, I meant EAS. Anyhow, sounds like he gets a good variety of activities through his day.

During morning  wake up, it's usually pretty low key as it's just the two of us. We do a massage and tummy time and play with a couple of toys and books.
So this first A time is much quieter than the rest of the day? Its reasonable to think that perhaps that first nap time is an extension of night if its relatively sedate.

Offline Heatwils

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 02:33:37 am »
Can I post a schedule in a few days? My little guy is sick right now and he's needing a lot more cuddling and help to sleep and he's all off.
On a positive, I've been going into his room about 30 minutes after he's gone to bed and sit with my hand on his belly for 15-20 minutes and he's been staying asleep (knock on wood 😉). The nights haven't been good, but again, he's sick and teething so it's hard to tell if the waking is for any other reason. I'd like to touch base when we are on the mend!

Offline becj86

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 03:13:17 am »
Of course you can :) Hope he feels better soon xx