Author Topic: What does a typical 19 mo old day look like?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Chloevalentine

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
What does a typical 19 mo old day look like?
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:53:15 am »
Just wondering what most 19 mo old schedules look like including activities and play time. I have such  an active little boy he doesnt stop all day long! Climbs everything gets into eveything! It’s exhausting. He usually gets up between 630-7 naps from 1230-230 and goes to bed around 730. He’s not saying much still and gets frustrated easily. He’s so active that I take him out to gym class and playground as often as I can but he still seems bored and climbs tables and chairs etc. I feel like he’s looking to “learn” something new if that makes sense. He’s still not interested in books and still eats crayons and playdough. He’s also getting picky eating. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: What does a typical 19 mo old day look like?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:50:53 am »
He's telling you what he wants by what he's doing - more climbing, more physical stuff. What about swimming? What about more park outings, you can do picnics for snacks/meals and be at the park for 3-4 hours at a time. What about an indoor obstacle course?
Here are some ideas: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=275535.0
This is also something worth thinking about: https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=228137.0

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 19:21:43 pm »
Yes we take a gym class every day. The weather has been too cold and wet for outdoor play. We do a lot of physical stuff but he’s still so frustrated and getting into trouble climbing the wrong things.

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:55 am »
Does he get free play during the gym class or does he have to follow instructions? Do you have indoor play spaces where he can climb? We're so lucky here that we can really go out all to parks all through the year. I'd have struggled with my very active boy if we had to stay indoors.

Does your DS like water play? DS played in the bath a bit if we didn't go out... Also he would play happily with a couple of utensils, some water and some washing up liquid for bubbles.

What about finger painting?

Why can't he climb the things he's climbing? Is there a house rule that you don't climb the arms of couches, etc.? Is it unsafe because he'd be too high and could fall onto something hard, potentially doing serious physical damage? Is he getting into trouble from you or because he's in danger and can't extricate himself? Is there anything he can climb inside the house?

What about indoor rock climbing? He's pretty little but I've seen some really tiny kids get into that.

Is he climbing for the sake of climbing or is he trying to reach things? If so, are they things he can have? If yes, maybe put them down lower and if no, maybe 'out of sight' would be better than 'up high'.

Is he climbing for attention?

Offline Chloevalentine

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 20:02:04 pm »
Yes it’s free play at an indoor gym he gets to climb and rock and slide and dance. It’s great ! As far as at home I’m pretty easy going with the climbing. Meaning I let the boys take the cushions off the sofa and climb and jump etc. he’s climbing the dining room table to reach the chandelier. He’s not necessarily climbing to reach something although he does that too! Lol. I used to have a slide with steps a little tykes that I had inside but he started rocking it it could fall over so I had to get rid of it. He’s so big for his age and very strong.

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 23:23:17 pm »
Yep, you have my sympathy. I had a small but strong LO who climbed everything too. Just let him climb as much as you can and I can't tell you it'll pass because it hasn't yet and my brother's 30 and still hasn't stopped climbing things though its more appropriate now...