Author Topic: Bedtime  (Read 1143 times)

Offline SNSmith

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 28, 2018, 03:29:31 am »
I’m very confused- 19 week old is fussy all day and seems OT at bedtime. I haven’t changed A times- have been 2 hours for 3 weeks maybe more. She’s waking up 20-30 mins after bedtime screaming and when I pick her up, smiling. Is this a sign of OT? If so, what do I do in the moment? I know in future I should just decrease A time (disappointing as I was just considering stretching it out to hope for longer naps). Any thoughts??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Bedtime
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:47 am »
What you are doing is the right thing, she is screaming so needs picking up and calming down.  When she is calm (sounds like that happens quickly) you can tell her it is time to sleep and put her back down.  Continue to use your usual soothing method, shush/pat or adapted, if needed and help her get back to sleep.  Spend as long as is needed and give as much help as is needed to get her back to sleep.

Is she having a good feed just before BT?  Perhaps a cluster feed at less than 3hrs before the BT feed?

In terms of increasing A time it's possible to increase the A times prior to naps if you feel she is ready for longer due to UT naps and you can still keep the last A time shorter to avoid OT at BT - this is fine, A times do not need to be equal throughout the day but rather whatever is needed to promote self soothing and restorative sleep.

hope this helps