Author Topic: Sleep training for baby that can already self-soothe...  (Read 1536 times)

Offline BlueandPinkMum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleep training for baby that can already self-soothe...
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:46:29 am »
I'm not sure if I'm got a 'break the habit issue' or a 'need to sleep train' issue so please bear with if my post is confusing. Sort of why I'm posting to get others advice on where I am.

When I sleep trained my DS at 9months he couldn't self-soothe, I would feed him to sleep for naps and at bedtime. Sleep-trained stroking tummy and then gradually reducing touch and he slept through.

The issue I'm fussing over is my DD is 6 months and CAN self-soothe to sleep - she sucks her thumb. I can put her down awake for naps and at bedtime and - yep great. However she still wakes in the night routinely around 2am and 5am and the only way to settle her (believe ME I have tried every other way) is to feed her. She does not need feeding at night - she's a very healthy weight.

I don't plan to sleep train until 9months or thereabouts again but how do I do it if essentially she can already self-soothe. She does on occasions wake up and if left will go back to sleep. The wake-ups are habitual I guess.

Think I'm asking for others who've been in the same situation as I am dreading doing it. I think I'm also letting my fear of her waking my 2 year old get in the way so I do jump in as soon as she starts getting a bit rowdy. Feeding her back to sleep can take 10mins if that as opposed to the hour it could take (who knows I've never had the stamina after a long tiring day with baby & toddler!) otherwise.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Sleep training for baby that can already self-soothe...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 13:20:44 pm »
Hi there

It sounds to me like your LO is just hungry. It's normal at this age to still have at least one night feed, or a dream feed and some LOs need more than 1.
Is she BF or FF?  BF babies tend to need more night feeds.

With regards to sleep training, it sounds like your LO is already sleeping independently and when the time comes to wean a night feed you will be able to do this gradually over a week or so and at the end of this period she will just stop waking.  Weaning a night feed when LO is ready isn't bad, I remember worrying about weaning my DS's night feed (which was at the DF time but he woke for it) and in the end it was so simple, no upset at all. I just did it gradually over a number of nights.  I think he was 8 months.  His day time milk didn't increase right away but I think he increased after a little while to make up for it.

hope this helps

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 22:34:49 pm »
What makes you think she doesn't need feeding at night if she wakes and cues for it? I'd say that shows she does need it. Weight really has nothing to do with whether or not a baby can go overnight without a feed. Maybe she is a healthy weight because she is feeding so well.

It is biologically normal and healthy for a baby so young to wake for feeds frequently. It protects against SIDS and helps get extra calories in at a time of rapid growth. It also helps with milk supply if you're breastfeeding. 2 feeds is great. Many this age are having more.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline BlueandPinkMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 16:35:48 pm »
Thanks for your replies :-)

She's BF - *creations* How did you wean your son's night feed?

**Ali** - Hmm, my local Health Visitor (not known for her 'sage' advise admittedly!) told me my daughter shouldn't still need feeds at night at her age and if she IS feeding then it's out of habit and will affect what she takes in the day. She's naturally a quick feeder (less than 10mins) so put thoughts in my head that the night feeds ARE affecting her day feeds - only reinforced on the nights she feeds a lot she won't seem interested in having breakfast feed.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 19:46:23 pm »
There are some FAQs on the BF board and the bottle feeding board which cover dropping a dream feed or night feed which I think contain information from the BW books.  The info is their when your LO is ready to drop a feed which I really do not think is just yet.
My DS was bottle fed so I did a gradual reduction over a number of nights.

Offline BlueandPinkMum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 21:17:19 pm »
Ok, many thanks, I'll go and have a look :-)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 23:20:21 pm »
If I were you I'd report your HV for that ridiculous advice. All babies are different. The recommendation from the experts (eg WHO and UNICEF) is to feed on demand, day and night for the first 2 yrs and beyond. Most EBF babies will need night feeds until a least a year or more. Very few will naturally drop all night feeds by 6mo!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011