Author Topic: Adjusting sleep schedule as per playschool timing  (Read 1614 times)

Offline garima ahluwalia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Adjusting sleep schedule as per playschool timing
« on: March 02, 2018, 16:50:42 pm »
Hello!
My son is 2 yrs old and starts playschool shortly. His daily routine is as follows:
7 am wake up
1pm to 2 pm nap
8:30 pm bedtime
The naps are slightly longer if he has slept later than his usual time the previous night.

The challenge I am facing is that his timing for playschool will be 11:30 am to 1:15 pm. Accounting for time taken to reach home and have lunch, he will be able to nap at 2 pm earliest. So that will mean a gap of 7 hours between wake up time and nap. He has always been an early riser, getting him to sleep till late doesn't look feasible.

Honestly, I am afraid that this will throw our entire schedule off the track. Do not want him to drop the nap so soon. Suggestions, anyone?

P.S. - We have also been having trouble getting him to sleep at night. I take him to bed at 8 pm and some days he sleeps only by 9pm. He does compensate the lost sleep by taking a longer nap though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 17:22:36 pm by garima ahluwalia »

Offline garima ahluwalia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Adjusting sleep schedule as per playschool timing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 18:06:42 pm »
Just wondering if shifting the entire schedule by 1 hour work?
7:30 am wake up
2 to 3:30 pm nap
9 pm bedtime

The bedtime would be delayed but I feel this is a better option than dropping the nap.

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 18:34:07 pm »
My DD turned 2 in December and her WU is usually 6ish and nap is 1pm...she does this amount of A time fairly easily and takes a 2hr nap at minimum.  He may be able to still do a 2pm nap just fine.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 14:33:25 pm »
HI - to be honest I don't think you have much choice! I think he will have a good nap at 2pm though as playing at play school will wear him out and he may surprise you with an earlier BT than you think!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 20:43:36 pm »
to be honest I don't think you have much choice!
I agree, there isn't much choice. He will have to hang on for his nap until he gets home.

One thing you might be able to do is shift "lunch" much earlier.  If he is used to napping at 1pm but you are not even getting home until say 1.30pm he might be too tired to entertain lunch and need to go directly for his nap immediately. sometimes LO can only cope with these outings if they are allowed to go right to sleep at the first opportunity and with no delay.
You might find you can give a substantial "snack" before heading out to play school. This will help him have more energy to cope with the class and to last a bit longer before the nap.  Although it might seem very early offering a lunch type meal at 10.30 or 11am it may help his mood.  You could then do another substantial "snack" when he wakes at 3.30/4pm and still offer dinner at your usual time.
If he is safe to eat during the journey home, finger foods, that might help too.

Many of my DS's toddler groups I took lunch type finger food snacks such as mini bean burgers or falafel so that he got more of a lunch type meal.  He could really eat a lot at snack time.