Author Topic: My 9 Month Old seems to have no interest in finger foods  (Read 3866 times)

Offline LauraLB

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 9 Month Old seems to have no interest in finger foods
« on: March 05, 2018, 22:59:55 pm »
My little one has been good eating purees and baby food just fine since she was 6 months. However I recently started to introduce finger foods, small puffed cereal, bananas, soft muffins. I always give them first before puree and she will play with them for a bit but it usually either gets thrown off the side or squished in her hands. It's been about 1 1/2 weeks. She did try at first but she had a disgusted look on her face and gagged quite a bit. I haven't been forcing her but should I just keep giving it too her even if she plays with it? I'm scared she's not going to associate it as food but as a toy. I've even tried to eat some myself hoping she'll mimic me. Should I  give it a rest for a while? Try other foods? Not sure where to go from here.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: My 9 Month Old seems to have no interest in finger foods
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 05:58:09 am »
should I just keep giving it too her even if she plays with it?
Yes, she has to have a chance to work out what to do with it. Its worth sitting down with her eating the same thing so she sees that its food, as you have done - but do this regularly. She will get there - its a new skill. Its perhaps worth giving her something that tastes familiar, so perhaps some roasted or par-boiled vegetables or some soft fruits in big pieces so she can grab them with her whole hand rather than relying on pincer grip.