Author Topic: Shush/pat not working  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Clare21

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:43 am »
My DD is 7 weeks today. I've been using shush/pat to put her to sleep for naps since she was 5.5 weeks. It worked most of the time but for the last 3-4 days it's like a switch flicked and she's either refusing to nap or waking up after 10 minutes of being asleep.

I normally start the routine once I've seen her yawn by turning on the shusher to signal bedtime then say good night to her and put her down in her bassinet. Then I start shush pat. She would fight it a little but eventually close her eyes. But that never lasts long. She will either open them after a few minutes or sleep for a bit and wake up again. I even followed Tracey's instructions of staying with her for 20 minutes till she falls into deep sleep. But nope that doesn't work. She will just cry and cry once she's woken up.

For context, she's a tummy sleeper (she can never sleep on her back even swaddled) and doesn't use a pacifier. And as mentioned, I only use shush pat for naps as she always naturally falls asleep on my breast during the night.

It is now 2pm and she has been awake since 9.30am except for a few 10 minute sleeps. I have spent the whole time either feeding her or settling her and am pretty exhausted. Also feeling so sorry for her because she keeps yawning and I know she's tired!

Please help! Is it all possible this could even be something to do with the six week growth spurt/regression??

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Shush/pat not working
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 02:27:53 am »
Hi :) Sorry you're having a rough time.

Is it all possible this could even be something to do with the six week growth spurt
Absolutely! Its a doozy.

I'd say its probably best to feed, feed, feed and let her sleep however she will sleep for the moment, even if that's on you. She's tiny, there's plenty of time for her to learn to sleep in the crib.

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Shush/pat not working
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:41:02 am »
How are things now?