Author Topic: Daycare ... how to deal with super early nap time for 2.5yo  (Read 1507 times)

Offline labrodyk

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Daycare ... how to deal with super early nap time for 2.5yo
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:44:31 am »
Hello again! We have had a six month+ hiatus and are now back with our newest sleep issue - no thanks to daycare! Would greatly appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

Our current EASY is pretty flexible now but things run 'smoother' when we work with the below:

WU: 7/7.30
Nap: Into bed between 1/1.30. This is the time with the least resistance and issues in settling. I have to wake her by 2.35 at the latest to get to school pickup (so 1/1.5 hr nap).
BT: 7/7.30 depending on 1/1.5 hour nap. She is usually asleep by 7.30/8 but sometimes 8.30 - chatting happily or rolling around quietly.

The issues happen however now that daycare has started where they offer all the children a nap at 11.30AM! It is something I have raised with the teachers but as it is a 0-3 year old room, it's something they struggle with. I have noticed that they are keeping her up an extra half hour and attempting her rest close to 12pm but it is just too long of an afternoon for her as she is only likely to do 40 minutes or 1hr 20 minutes depending on when she wakes.  The other week, she crashed out from 11.30 - 1 but still at 7.30 she was a mess, melting down and then waking so much overnight. She only goes two days a week but it disrupts the rest of our week with restless nights and cranky days.

Would you recommend a SEBT of 6 or 6.30 on these two days days as I am unlikely to have much success in moving nap time. I suggested our usual 1pm, but they say that most children are waking up around this time so unlikely she will sleep. The centre is just amazing (other than this) so moving her is not an option.  Given she can take upwards of an hour to sleep, I haven't liked to put her down too late because I usually end up apoping her or WI/WO because she is too wired to settle herself.

Just after others' thoughts if anyone has any! Many thanks in advance.

- LA.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Daycare ... how to deal with super early nap time for 2.5yo
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:21:48 am »
Can they try putting her down at 12:30 when the others are still asleep? DYT she'd keep sleeping as they got up?

Either way, I'd be doing an earlier BT of 6:30 or even 6 if she's really struggling just because daycare will be more stimulating all day and she'll be tired.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 07:59:56 am »
thanks for replying! It was daycare today and it's a rough bedtime... i spoke to the teachers and they kept her up but said she slept 12.05 - 1.10.

I was aiming for 6pm BT but couldn't manage it. 6.30 I tried to leave and she has the worst SA, screaming when I left the room. I went back in to calm her down but she's been sobbing and calling out mum inbetween bursts of quiet and trying to settle still at 7...

Is this SA from a day away from me, OT/UT? Struggling to work it out. Such a contrast to yesterday where she napped 1.30-2.30. BT 7.30 with a goodnight love you mama and that was it (quietly chatting for a while)... xh school s

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:53:17 am »
Is this SA from a day away from me, OT
Probably a bit of both. Does she go 2 days in a row or are the days separated?

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 09:31:14 am »
she woke and called out after less than an hour :(
she goes two days in a row. Wednesday and Thursday - so again tomorrow. She doesn't like separating so she has a comforter which she holds and sucks her thumb most of the day...

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 11:01:04 am »
Are you sure this is the centre for her? I get that its a good one but sometimes reputation isn't all its cracked up to be. If she's still not able to put down the comforter at all during the day, perhaps there's a basic need that's not being met - feeling safe and secure there. If this is all new and only when she's been at daycare, I'd say its more than just OT.

Offline labrodyk

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 23:16:09 pm »
She has great difficulty separating from me in general. She cries at our church creche every week and she's been attending from the day she was born and they love her like I do. At daycare (which is the best of a bad lot in our area...) they have gone above and beyond to make her happy and loved so I am confident that it isn't the centre that is the problem. Audrey just wants to be with me 24/7 and given I work that just isn't practical. She's only been attending since January this year, so not long :(