Author Topic: Naps getting shorter  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Whimsical

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 17, 2018, 16:04:07 pm »
Baby is nearly 6mo.  We've been using PUPD and shush pat for all sleep (nights and naps) since March 1st. 

Initially, after a few rocky days naps went well with 2 naps per day 1.25-1.5 hours and a third shorter nap (30 min).  Within the first week there were 4-5 days in a row where I would put her down awake, leave the room, and she would fall asleep on her own with a little cooing/whining within 20 minutes (I did not go back in). 

However, within the past week I've had to start doing PUPD again for most naps and she is now waking after 30-45 minutes.  Attempts to extend the naps (via PUPD, using key phrase, hand on belly) work only 50% of the time. 

I'm concerned that she is now becoming dependent on having my presence and hand on her to fall asleep and possibly this is why she wakes early from naps? 

So, when should I be removing my hand and/or leaving the room?  When she is fully asleep (which is what I thought from reading the books) or when she is calm but not yet asleep?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Naps getting shorter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 17:29:01 pm »
At this point I'd try extending A time and go for just 2 naps.

Offline Whimsical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 19:11:48 pm »
Hi Deb,

Thanks for your response!

I don't think that is going to work quite yet because she is not able to do more than a 2-2.25 hour waketime right now (a bit shorter before first nap).  Even a week or two ago when she had longer naps, her waketimes are not long enough to make it on 2 naps only.  So she at least needs a catnap in the afternoon. 

What I'm wondering is whether I should keep my hand on her until she is fully asleep (this is what Tracy says in the chapter on PUPD) or if this can become a prop too? 

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:14:56 am »
Hello and welcome to BW forums :)

It sounds like you did really well in the first part of the sleep training and were getting some good naps with LO going to sleep without you in the room - fantastic :)

I agree with Deb that it sounds like she needs a slightly longer A time time now.  Being resistant to the nap and then waking after one cycle of sleep are both signs that LO is UT (under tired) for the nap.
She might not be ready for the full 3hrs which is usually needed for a consistent 2 nap day but on the shorter A time of 2hr 15 she isn't sleeping well.
I would increase the A time by 10-15 mins (say 2hr 30min) and see how you go for 3 days.  There should be less resistance to sleep so it will be less confusing about when you should leave the room etc.
With the longer A time BT may need to move a little.  If she does short naps you will still get at least 3 naps in the day. If 2 naps go longer then you will either need EBT (very early BT so the last A time doesn't get too long) or a CN and a later BT.  This is a shorter term routine whilst she moves from 3 naps per day to 2 naps per day.
At 6 months (so very soon) most LOs have a 3hr A time and 2 naps, this could be coming soon for you.

when should I be removing my hand and/or leaving the room?  When she is fully asleep (which is what I thought from reading the books) or when she is calm but not yet asleep?
Both of these are fine and used when LO has different needs.  If LO needs you in the room you stay until she is fully asleep, with a hand on or shush/patting or just shushing, whatever part is needed.  If LO is calm you can leave the room.  You can always go back in and help more.
Keeping a hand on LO until she is fully asleep is not considered a prop because it is easily weaned. When this is happening frequently you can begin to do an on/off as she nods and falls to sleep and can reduce the weight of your hand when it is on (firmer and less firm), this way LO knows you are there, feels the comfort of you but doesn't get used to a constant weight/touch.

hope that helps. You can post here with your progress if you like.

Offline Whimsical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:55:20 am »
Today was a great day with these waketimes: 1.75 (1.5h nap), 2.5 (1.25h nap), 2.25 (0.5h catnap), 2.75 (bedtime). 

Thanks for the recos to extend waketimes, I think a few weeks ago they were good but she is getting older so going to keep on this track to see if it goes well.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 18:59:27 pm »
That's great news :)
The A time increase quickly running up to 6 months and it can be quite a surprise.  Be prepared for another increase relatively soon, up to 3hrs. Even though it sounds a lot it can happen in the next couple of weeks or so.

Offline Whimsical

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 00:32:55 am »
Yes, followed similar times today and she went to sleep independently for all 3 naps and at bedtime.  She woke early from 2nd nap (after 40 minutes or so) but my husband was able to extend it with shush-pat.

I've started using the Huckleberry app which now will forecast a Sweet Spot for next sleep and so far it is working well!  We'll see if it recommends extending waketimes from this soon! 

Thanks for all the help!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 20:01:46 pm »
Yes, followed similar times today and she went to sleep independently for all 3 naps and at bedtime.
Yay!!  ;D

Not heard of that app but sounds like you're finding it useful.