Author Topic: The definitive list of OT and UT??  (Read 1762 times)

Offline helspells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: March 20, 2018, 10:00:47 am »
Is there a thread anywhere that states what is an OT nap waking or UT waking?  My little one is constantly waking at different times and I can never find a thread saying whether that timing is OT or UT. It would be so helpful to have something to refer to as there are so many threads re OT/UT it’s difficult to rootbthrough them all.  Is there a rule of thumb to follow or would perhaps it be possible to put a sticky thread together for example a lost in this format:-

10 mins UT
20 mins UT
30 mins OT
40 mins OT
Etc
Etc
Etc???

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: The definitive list of OT and UT??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:29 am »
There are some general rules of thumb (though they are generalisations, some LOs have shorter/longer sleep cycles than average, so they don't always hold):

20min - pain/discomfort/overstimulation
30min - overtired
40-45min - UT, woke at sleep cycle transition and couldn't get back to sleep - can be developmental or very UT
1hr-1:20 - UT - close to the right amount of tired, as made it through the sleep cycle transition but a small increase should help lengthen the nap again

These rules tend to apply until you get to one nap where things change up again and are much more variable. Its great to watch you LO whilst they're younger and sleep needs are more predictable to see how they behave when UT/OT as that is often the best gauge when they're toddlers.

I'll have a conversation with the moderators and see what we think re: a sticky, I'm not sure if there is one.

Offline helspells

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 13:52:54 pm »
Thanks Bec that’s super helpful! 👍☺️

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 20:14:46 pm »
It also important to look at LOs mood pre-nap, mid nap, post nap and the rest of the day; what happened that day and the days prior including habits and changes of routine and lots of other variables. Often sleep problems are linked to the "bigger picture" and cannot just be worked out based on the number of minutes they slept for.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 21:11:22 pm »
Often sleep problems are linked to the "bigger picture" and cannot just be worked out based on the number of minutes they slept for.
Absolutely.