Author Topic: 8mp, How much should she be eating?  (Read 10829 times)

Offline eva026

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
8mp, How much should she be eating?
« on: March 20, 2018, 13:13:21 pm »
Hi, DD2 is 8mo, bf 4-5 times during the day, one bf at night  And gets one bottle of 120ml ebm for a second night feed.
We do mainly blw with some attempt of spoon feeding but that is hit and miss.
I recently read that she’s supposed to be getting 900 calories a day, half from milk (700-800ml) and the rest from food. That looks about right milk wise but there is no way she is eating enough to cover the rest. I’d say 80 percent of her food ends up on the floor.
Eg of menu for the day: breakfast 2tblsp oatmeal, 2 tblsp yogurt with a tiny bit of mashed banana and 1/8 of a peach. Lunch, 5 bits of pasta, 1 floret of cauliflower, 1 baby carrot, meatball the size of the babies palm (most of this she threw around or chewed up then spat out), dinner 1/2 egg, 1/4 toast with butter, 2 cucumber sticks, 1/3 kiwi (I’d say half of this was swallowed, the rest went all over the pace).

So what do you think? She’s definitely not getting 400 calories in solids.

Also, at what point do I drop bfs and do snacks?
WU 7.30am Bf when she wakes, solids 1h later
Bf before fist nap 10.30
S10.40
WU 12.15
Bf 1pm
Solids 2pm
I try bf 3pm - usually takes a tiny amount
S 3.15
WU 5pm bf
Dinner 6.00
BT and bf 8.00pm

Can I maybe change anything to get her to eat more? She gets hungry about 3.5h so I try juggle the bf around naps.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 8mp, How much should she be eating?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 19:18:39 pm »
I recently read that she’s supposed to be getting 900 calories a day, half from milk (700-800ml) and the rest from food.
I've never seen or heard this.  Out of interest where did you read it?

What you are currently doing looks great, there's no need to change anything in my opinion.
Some 8 month olds are barely interested in solids and they don't start taking much at all until they are a bit older than this. Other LOs eat solids like they were born for it, it's just how different they are.  the guidance is to introduce a third meal at 8 months, for some they will be wanting, demanding and eating 3 meals earlier and for some they are barely interested in 2 meals and just eat tastes of things. All of these are normal.

The meals you are offering sound great, a nice variety. There really is no problem if she is gumming and spitting out or just holding and licking the foods, all those things get her used to the texture, smell, taste and eventually they foods become more familiar and she will eat more of them.

Also, at what point do I drop bfs and do snacks?
No day time milk feeds would be dropped for a few months yet and even there there is no hurry or need to drop any BFs.  This will be your choice.  Some people like to continue BF beyond 12 months, it is up to you.
Snacks can be introduced when 3 meals are being taken and if LO shows interest in a snack or lack of interest in milk at a mid morning or mid afternoon milk feed, snacks are small and can be in place of a BF or as well as a BF.  LO might show some signs around 10 or 11 months that they want to drop a milk feed and that might guide you to switch one to a solids snack if that's what you choose to do.  The other mid (morning or afternoon) milk can be switched a few weeks or a month or two later.
Remember though that breast milk contains all sorts of good stuff which solids doesn't have, there really is no hurry to drop BFs or replace them with solids.

I think the best thing here would be if you could reassure yourself that you are offering your LO plenty, and remember that milk is still her primary food until 12 months (which the info you read suggests it is not, that it is 50/50) and that breast milk is the best food for any infant.

Offline eva026

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 20:25:34 pm »
My friend had lots of issues with nw and hired sleep experts to come in and help (I couldn’t persuade her to try the nw forums unfortunately). They are the ones who told her to increase solids so it’s 50-50 with milk. I googled it and found a few websites that said the same. Not sure exactly which ones now, sry.
I thought dd was doing well with solids till I spoke to my friend and read a bit.

I think she could probably drop one of the day feeds because I get 2 short ones in the afternoon but time-wise this won’t eor.
I’m also starting work on Thursday from 3-7pm so I really want her to bf before I go as her drinking from a bottle is hot and miss and it’s likeky she’ll hold out till I come home.

So if I understand you correctly I keep things as is for the next two months at least, then month 11 and 12 I can drop a bf and give a snack instead. After 1yp we can bf however much she wants. Not sure if I’ll continue during the day after 1yp. NF as long as she wakes will bf for sure but it would be nice to be able to get out without the baby and not stress that she’ll be hungry without me.

Offline eva026

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 20:28:52 pm »
Found it, https://www.verywellfamily.com/feeding-and-breastfeeding-your-8-to-12-month-old-431724
It’s the first thing that pops up in a search for how many ml milk an 8mo should be getting

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 09:45:16 am »
Thanks for the link. all I can say really is that it contains lots of out of date information and various things I disagree with.
Breast milk was once thought to be too low in iron to give LO what they need (in some case making a big push for substantial portions of iron rich foods such as greens and meats at 6 months, parent's worrying that not a big enough portion is taken but LO is only 6 months and actually only ready for tastes and trying out foods) but more recent studies show the iron in breast milk is in a more easily absorbed form meaning that LOs are actually getting iron benefit from their milk and there is not need to "push" for iron rich foods so much (or to panic about the portion size).
The link also describes finger foods as being "small pieces" for LO to pick up using the pincer grasp (finger and thumb), this is not what is now generally meant as "finger food" which are large wedges or batons or chunks the size of an adult finger. The point being that LO can grasp in a fist and has great control of the item of food and can often lick or suck and still remove it (still in the fist grip) from their mouths rather than a small piece being put in which is harder to manipulate with tongue or hands.
I won't go on ... I don't rate the info I read there.

I thought dd was doing well with solids till I spoke to my friend and read a bit.
It sounds like you are doing really well and that the only "problem" is comparing with other babies or with out dated or unhelpful information.
It *is* important to introduce solids in a timely manner (ie offering tastes from 6 months which you have done), LOs who are not given the opportunity can find it harder to get used to the foods, textures, etc and self feeding has benefits of language development and fine motor skills etc - but this does not mean large portions or reducing milk or a certain amount of calories in a day.

LOs are very good at knowing when they are hungry and when they are full, the portion size can be led by your LO, if she wants more it is likely fine to offer more.  The portion size will likely change day to day and week to week, sometimes seemingly no appetite and sometimes huge (growth spurt).  It is also not a requirement that all the food groups are put in every meal offered. LOs can balance their food groups over a week rather than a day. eg one day just wants lots of carbs and refuses protein, another day takes double protein but not veg, another day only eats fruit.  This is all normal at this age.

I’m also starting work on Thursday from 3-7pm so I really want her to bf before I go as her drinking from a bottle is hot and miss and it’s likeky she’ll hold out till I come home.
Perhaps a BF before you go.  A solid snack with a drink or milk (ebm) or water, later on dinner, then I'm assuming a BT BF when you are home.

Are you expressing milk?  It's possible to make a pudding (like a set custard or a blancmange) from your breast milk and perhaps this can be offered mid afternoon when you are working as her solids snack?  or a regular sugar free yoghurt or a wedge of cheese.

I've seen LOs who barely ate a bite of solids at 8 months, a bit of yoghurt and that's all.  Then at 9 months more interest and by 1yo they were eating big meals, good strong sturdy toddlers, exactly as expected.  My DS ate lots from 6 months but he never looked particularly strong or sturdy, he's a skinny thing.

Offline eva026

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:31:36 am »
Well that was a disaster. I bf at 2.30, has to leave for work at 3pm and got home 7.30.
They must have put her down a bit too early because she did a 45min nap, refused the bottle and cried for ages. They kept trying with milk for 1h and finally gave her solids. She ate a bit of that but not a ton. By the time I got home she was starving and exhausted ( playing nicely though). The night ofc sucked because she bf at BT 7.45pm, nw 8.30, bf 10.00pm, nw 11pm, bottle ebm 12.00, nf3, nw 5am, up for the day 6.30am (she usually should get up at 7.30). Now I’m just feeling super guilty...

I’m trying to make custard with ebm now, maybe she’ll have that.
Any ideas on how/what to feed her when I’m awAy?

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:52:15 am »
Sorry to hear things didn't go as planned :(

If she doesn't like the bottle of milk then perhaps giving a solids snack sooner could help reduce her frustration?  it could be that by the time she's been upset for an hour trying to give a bottle of ebm she is so fed up she is not interested in the solids offered either.
Some LOs who refuse a bottle will take a cup of ebm instead, have you tried her with that?

Does she like carbsy foods?  My LO loved those little sugar free mini pancakes (small fat pancakes like Scotch pancake or American pancake rather than the thin crepe type).  I made them with flour, egg, banana and a splash of milk. then fried then in batches (medium to large frying pan and do table spoons of mixture making about 5 or 6 at a time). You can make different types by adding dried fruit or grated apple etc.
roughly:
110g self raising flour
1 egg
2 banana (1 whizzed makes it very wet, 1 mashed makes it lumpy)
150ml milk
1 apple (grated).
Mix it all together and fry in butter until bubbles appear then flip over.

My LO also really liked oaty chews, a bit like a flap jack, just oats, milk, ripe bananas and dried fruit, butter or oil, then baked on a flat sheet and cut into squares.  There is a baby food product in the UK which is very similar but the oats are finer which I did by putting them through a processor whilst dry before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.

Otherwise I'd probably give her whatever her favourite food is when you are out so that there's more chance of her having something.  I don't mean sugary foods but personally I don't mind foods sweetened with fruit and some dried fruit.
Would she eat a chunk of cheese that she can gum and suck on?

I would also make sure she is given some water if she won't take milk whilst you are out, does she take a sippy cup?

Offline eva026

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:04:22 am »
Ha, and there we have another problem. The nanny refuses to do blw because she’s afraid the baby will choke. The food has to be spoon fed. I left her buckwheat mashed up, added pear, mashed green beans, chicken and butter.
She loves pancakes!! Although maybe if I mash then?
I saw the oaty chews on one of the other boards, will definitely give them a try. Would not mind them for myself 😀. I sweaten with pear or banana if needed.

So for next time you think to try a soppy of milk along with solids? Just skip the bottle if it causes so much distress and hide the milk in solids?  She loves scrambled eggs so I could mix milk into that too and it’s easy enough to mash up with a fork.
I’m practicing spoon feeding with her too but she’s never been a fan, she usually grabs the spoon and hurls it across the kitchen.

Offline creations

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 14:12:01 pm »
she usually grabs the spoon and hurls it across the kitchen.
does this not hint to the nanny that finger foods is the way to go :)  :P

Just off out for my school run now but I'll try to think of some foods for you.
Just plain blancamange made from breast milk is very simple and can be spoon fed. Literally just thicken with flour over heat and let it set and cool.
Humous?  Avocado? babaganoush (dip of aubergine)?  bean dip?
It's hard not knowing what she likes though.  And I have no experience of purees or mashed foods lol

Offline eva026

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 05:20:02 am »
Hi!
Sorry to revive an old topic but it’s basically a continuation.
So I’m back at work 1 a week now and need a strategy for dds feeds. She is still flat out refusing a bottle or soppy or cup with Breast milk or formula. She’ll have a few sips during meals but that’s it. I’ve tried adding a bit of tea to it, to change the taste but still no go. She treats it as a drink not a meal.
She won’t take much solids when I’m away either. I leave breast milk custard 60ml milk in that (she’ll eat 3/4) a fruit snack that she eats and dinner, which she hardly touches. When I get home she pounces on me and has a long feed and we end up with 3 NF instead of 2 on that night too.
Next month I really need to add an additional day of work or I’ll lose clients.

He feeds now:
8am WU bf
9am solids
11.40 bf nap
1.15 WU I try for a bf here and lunch 1h later or if she refuses I give her lunch and bf between 3-4pm.
Cn at 4.30-5.00 and small bf when she wakes.
Dinner 6.30
Bf 7.45pm asleep by 8pm
Bottle ebm 11pm and nf breast 3am

So, as you can see, it’s that small feed after the cn that is missing and totally throws her, making her refuse dinner because she’s waiting for me!
Do you think I should just always do bf 8, 11.40, 3, 7.45pm, put in an additional snack of dairy between the last 2 bf of the day? So maybe she’ll get used to this and hopefully not add the missing feed to nighttime?

Offline creations

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 08:16:54 am »
Have you tried milk in a straw cup (or a straw in a bottle)? Some LOs will take the straw better then a bottle if they are not used to bottle feeding.  Mine also took a straw well for a full milk feed where he wouldn't take much milk from a sippy cup (although he was 13 months then so there is a difference in age).  I used those fat disposable straws (which I washed out and saved for crafts). There's a tip for getting them started which is to dip one end in the milk, put your finger over the other end which then traps a small amount of milk in the straw, keeping your finger on the straw lift it out of the milk and put the milky end to LOs mouth, when you release your finger a small amount of milk goes in - so they get the idea that milk comes from the straw.

Is she taking a good WU milk in the morning (ie are the additional night feeds effecting WU intake?)?
And a good breakfast solids?
What times is she having the BM custard and fruit snack?
What is her lunch time solids meal?

Offline eva026

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 09:09:50 am »
She will take a bottle but only at night. Will try with the straw today.
If her NF is at 5 then she doesn’t have much bf on WU. But more often than not, the NF is 3amish and then morning bf is good. Breakfast I try give her baby cereal with bm and prunes or breD with cream cheese and tomatoes or scrambled eggs. It’s hit and miss, no clue what it depends on. Sometimes she’ll finish what I give her, other times, like today she’ll have a few spoons.
Lunch is a few bits of pasta, some meat (meatball or chicken or fish bits) and a veggie- again hit and miss.
I ask the nanny or my mom (depends who is babysitting) to give her the custard when she wAkes from the cn around 5pm (the last bf would have been 2pm) and fruit after of 30min later. Dinner is at 6.30 and the same as lunch but mashed (nanny won’t do blw) or like breakfast- so bread or eggs.

Offline creations

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 17:54:06 pm »
How did it go with the straw?

It doesn't sound like she's having a large portion of solids at any meal, often they eat more in the earlier hours, breakfast and early lunch, which is why I was asking, but perhaps the smaller portions are fine for her. Is she maintaining and gaining weight okay?  Weeing and pooing okay?  And generally healthy?

It could still be that she just hasn't had that that big increase in interest yet and really so long as she gets her milk there shouldn't be anything to worry about, the solids will pick up. I can understand your reluctance to have the additional night feeds but perhaps this is unavoidable now that you are back at work until she is a bit older and the solids increases?

Offline eva026

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 21:08:55 pm »
Apparently milk from anywhere besides the breast is poison 😖
So nothing to be done for now I guess. I can deal with the NF just hate knowing she’s starving herself while I’m away.

Offline creations

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 17:44:56 pm »
Apparently milk from anywhere besides the breast is poison 😖
:)
I know you were kind of joking about that but it made me think...have you demonstrated to her that you can drink it? That you can use a straw and that it is not poison?  I actually did have to test all foods for "poison" during one of DS's phases as he wouldn't touch any of it (food he had eaten a zillion times before) until I had tested one piece of each item. As soon as I did (saying "Ah yes, no poison there, tastes good") he tucked in and ate the lot.
I also introduced the sippy cup and straw by demonstration and had my tea in a sippy cup for a few days and then with a straw a few times.
Just mentioning on the off chance it helps.