Author Topic: 2 yo resisting bed time  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
2 yo resisting bed time
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:15:06 am »
LO is 25 months and has been resisting bed time for a while now.  It was getting slightly easier (possibly just because we found a routine that worked - i.e. Mommy had to pat her tummy and sing some songs and then she's quiet down), but once the time went forward it became a horrible struggle again (I'm guessing because I was trying to move bed time gradually earlier and it was just backfiring). She's been waking around 7 am (which is awesome) napping around 2 for 1.5-2 hours (I was waking her by 4 pm) and then won't sleep until 9:30 or later.  It's taking me 45-60 mins or more to get her down.
I've tried limiting her nap to 1.5 hours the last two days and she fell asleep a little earlier, but still late.  Her total A time for the entire day is right around 13 hours so she's getting just over 11 hours sleep total including nap and night. Her nights have been getting increasingly shorter as she gets older and now I'm lucky if I get 9.5-10 hours.
Some rare days she refuses to nap or we're out and about and a nap just doesn't happen. On these days, she generally falls asleep nursing (I don't generally nurse to sleep) around 6/6:30 and sleeps 11.5-12 hours, which is blissful.
I'm thinking I need to shorten her nap more but thought I'd come here for advice first. I feel like she's still so young to have to limit the nap, but she's always been low sleep needs...
Anyway thanks in advance!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 2 yo resisting bed time
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39:08 am »
When mine was that age we were one of the last to drop the nap. Most of the other toddlers seemed to drop about 24 months and only the rare one continued to 2.5 or 3yo.
When you cap the nap you are unlikely to see the real changes until a week or two have passed.  Although she slept a little earlier on those days with the shorter nap she might go down earlier over a few more days/week.
In terms of sleep in 24hrs isn't about what mine was having (2hr nap, nights went down to 9hr).  When mine dropped his nap he went to 11hr nights and then it lengthened over time to 12hrs...and yes it was bliss!!

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 13:14:13 pm »
Ok thanks for the encouragement!  My first at 6.5 years old still sleeps 11 hours (he didn't drop his nap till almost 5 yo) so hard to believe this LO is already at that stage!  Will hold out hope she sleeps more once we drop the nap!  I'll keep nap at 1.5 hours for another couple weeks and see how it goes. Thanks so much!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 13:28:16 pm »
My first at 6.5 years old still sleeps 11 hours (he didn't drop his nap till almost 5 yo)
Wow he had a nap for a long time :)
When mine was 6yo he also had gone down to around 11hrs although he hadn't napped since 2.5yo.

It's hard to know isn't it when they are so different. You could have a nap going for quite a long time yet...or you could drop it completely within a few weeks or months!
Capping sounds like it works for you though. Mine couldn't live with a capped nap, it was a nightmare, so he continued long nap short night which kept him better rested.

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 03:55:14 am »
They are definitely all VERY different! 😉

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:21:37 am »
Two weeks into the nap being capped at 1.5 hours.  She now wants to basically nurse to sleep and is having trouble settling herself at bedtime.  Her second year molars have been “coming in” for over two months now with very little progress (one tiny white spot peeking through) so I’ve been trying to give her the assistance she needs but I fear it has just made things worse.  She’ll nurse, I’ll brush her teeth and we’ll say good night.  She asks for my hand on her back, which I did until she was almost asleep, but now that doesn’t even work. For the past week, she has asked to be nursed after she’s been in the crib for a couple minutes so I turn on the light, nurse her again and put her down.   We repeat this 3-4 times until she’s almost asleep and will go into the crib. The past couple nights she’s pretty much nursed till she was asleep.
Tonight I told her after we finish nursing and put you in the crib, no more milk till morning.  She is capable of understanding this. Two minutes after she goes into the crib and my hand is on her back, she asks for milk. I repeat we can have milk in the morning.  She then asks me for a song, then milk, then another song, then milk, then water, then milk, etc.  This went on and on and on with me repeating she could have milk in the morning until I asked my husband to take over.  She finally fell asleep at 9:20.

A couple things to note:
1) she goes down easier for hubby (he puts her down for nap every day because it takes him 5 mins but if I do it it takes 15)
2) it seems she can’t settle herself at bedtime, but can at naptime.  For naps, hubby takes her for a walk, takes her upstairs, puts her in her crib and most days walks right out.  If she’s not tired enough he sometimes has to put his hand on her back for a few
3) she is now getting less than 11 hours total sleep (before it was 11 or 11.25 or so) so it’s just getting worse. She is waking earlier, I think because it is taking us so long to get her to sleep that she is OT by the time she falls asleep and therefore wakes early.

My questions are:
Where do we go from here?  Cut nap even shorter?  How do we break the cycle of her being so needy with me so I can put her down easily? I really dislike having to depend on hubby so much.  Luckily he works form home, but I’d like to be able to handle this myself some of the time!!!  Thank you!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:44:00 am by Tabathagucci »

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:39:36 am »
Hi there. sorry you didn't get a reply, I've been unable to get on-line due to a terribly bad back.  I'm still only able to sit at the computer a few minutes.
How are things now?  If you need support it may be worth starting a new thread if I'm not around.