Author Topic: Adjusting for daycare  (Read 1183 times)

Offline GordonsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 21, 2018, 14:12:55 pm »
Hello,

My 1.5 DS will be starting daycare for the first time next week. I need help adjusting his sleep, since 10 months we have been weaned from NF and STTN. So he gets a solid 12 hours a night.

Our current routine:
WU 830/9
Nap 1/130- 3
BT 830/9

Future New routine:
WU 530
Nap 12-3
BT ???

We have slowly move this week to a 7am WU and 730 BT, so should I keep moving BT earlier to accommodate for an even earlier WU? Or do I just hope for naps to extend (right now he’s abou 1.5-1.75 long nap).

TIA

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Adjusting for daycare
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 19:06:29 pm »
Ooh that's quite a big move isn't it.
I would keep moving WU and BT over the coming days in readiness or it will be such a shock to wake at 5.30am
I would move the naps times too but move it slower than the morning WU because the reality is that he has to handle a longer A time in the morning, rather than 5hrs he is used to it will be 6.5hr which is quite a jump.
If it was me I'd jot down routines for the coming days where WU, nap and BT shift each day.

Unless there is a chance you can lift him asleep into the car and he can continue to sleep on the way to day care?  I don't know how your routine is working with times to leave the house and how long it takes to get there etc, but for some people this could be another option.  He could then be dropped off asleep and wake up later to have breakfast there?

I would keep the night at 12hrs as that's what he is used to sleeping. So if WU is 5.30am I'd do BT at 5.30pm... if his nap lengthens to 3hrs like the day care routine you might find resistance at BT (and therefore shorten the night by making BT a little later I'd move in 15 min increments and see how the resistance reduces) but the very long morning could mean no BT resistance, it just depends.

Offline GordonsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 19:30:29 pm »
Thanks for your reply! I will try moving BT a little earlier as I move WU and nap.

It is a huge jump to move to 530! And I hate that we have come so far in our training to have to change it now, he wasn’t always the best sleeper. I really don’t think I can load him in the car without him waking, I have never been successful. I certainly will give it a try.

Next week is our trial run at daycare so I can keep working on it for at least another week.

My poor DH tried telling me I wouldn’t need to move BT, that his naps would lengthen and make up for the loss time. Which I get would be ideal for him since he is gone 12hrs a day and would hardly see our son. So fingers crossed DS can naturally move into that type of routine, but for now we will just have earlier BT.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 20:11:19 pm »
Oh dear, I feel for the family with the EBT, it isn't nice to miss out on that time with your child.
If you're lucky he will nap longer and be able to hang on later for BT, I'm just not sure you can "make" that happen.
The only other option I can think of is to reintroduce a CN in the late afternoon/early evening if LO would accept one, meaning a much later BT and shorter night. I'm not sure you could get him to CN though.

Offline NattysMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 23:32:52 pm »
Hi GordonsMommy,

I know it’s been a few months since this had been posted...

I’m now going through a very similar situation and we’ve gone from great sleeping to a very OT girl as she’s been adjusting to an earlier WU and her nap at daycare. It’s only our first week but it’s been rough.

How did your routine/nap/sleep work out?
Any tips?

Thanks!
Rachel          ~ 🌷🌼 Natalie Aurora 💗 May 2017 🌼🌷 ~