Author Topic: 3yo Will she ever sleep through?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Noelie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 23, 2018, 21:03:01 pm »
Hi, dd is 3y3m - never a good sleeper, however changes in the right direction have happened. She has drop the nap and finally has regular bed time. (7/7.30pm to 6.30/7 am) we have a routine and she falls asleep on her own. Happy with that, but she keeps having WU. Short ones for a wee, or because she's kicked her blanket or she wants one soft toy or whatever, once the want is met she goes back to sleep... Longer ones, where she is not really awake but makes a lot of noise, shouts for 20 min (but occasionally can be up to 1 hour :( ) Will she ever sleep through?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3yo Will she ever sleep through?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 09:12:35 am »
I would probably sort out the things you can so that she can meet as many of the needs she has on her own, and help her to learn to resolve these things for herself, going for a wee, getting her soft toy for comfort, pulling her blanket back on etc.  The other things though, talking or shouting in her sleep, I think you might be stuck with.  My DS has always talked and shouted in his sleep and still does it now at 7yo.  Fortunately it seems to be limited to the early part of the night so I am not yet sleeping and it doesn't disturb me, I'm not sure there is anything you can do to stop it.  Being over tired can cause more sleep talking in my experience (less relaxed in sleep) but mine is generally well rested and still talks/shouts in his sleep, usually negative noises of frustration. I assume linked to some frustrations he has had in the day which he is processing.

Offline Noelie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 19:33:32 pm »
thanks Creations, we've covered the subjects: i tuck the blanket so that it can't fell of, she has a bottle of water, a night light, a potty by her bed, a soft toy (that gets lost in her bed on occasion), she knows how to do everything but still decides to call us, i will go over them again. Oh well, it will stop eventually :) . Like you, the shouting tends to happen early in the night, like 2 or 3 hours after going to bed. Good to know there's nothing obvious we can do about it. All the best :)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 3yo Will she ever sleep through?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 08:50:09 am »
You could perhaps try calling back to her, giving some reassurance and instruction of what to do?
When mine was younger than this he had a period of shouting for me and I started just shouting back - of course if he was upset or crying or really needed my help I went to him but otherwise if he shouted "I need a wee" I called back "then get on the potty" or if he was calling for apparently nothing I called back "it's night time go to sleep".  Some times they don't seem to realise they can do this stuff for themselves until the are told to or get some practise.

Sounds like you've got everything covered - as much as you can do anyway  :)